Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Not Immediately Finding Hardwired Network Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A.Thomas

A.Thomas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hey Folks (I apologize if this is under the wrong category),

I have been having this trouble for awhile now where after Windows 7 loads, I do not immediately connect to the internet through a fixed hardwired connection. It is delayed by about 2-3 minutes. I have changed cables many times, refreshed my IP Config, released it, etc. Nothing has yet to seem to work. I do not know what to look for and would greatly appreciate any help and advice that can be given. Below are the list of my specs.

CPU: i5 2500k (4.5GHz O.C. @ Stock Voltage)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (1600MHz)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V-PRO/GEN3
Power Supply: Corsair GS800 Watt
Video Cards: Asus Nvidia GeForce 560GTX Ti 1GB (Two-Way SLI)

Thanks for all the help you fine folks have to offer,

Adam

Edited by A.Thomas, 03 September 2012 - 10:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Veyf

Veyf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hello there,

My first port of call would be to ensure the latest driver has been installed.

Asus may not have updated the website with any recent updates so I would recommend going to Intel first.
http://www.intel.com/support/network/detect.htm

What does the network status symbol show prior to it fully connecting? There could be some clues there if the driver update does not resolve it.

#3 A.Thomas

A.Thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Hello there,

My first port of call would be to ensure the latest driver has been installed.

Asus may not have updated the website with any recent updates so I would recommend going to Intel first.
http://www.intel.com/support/network/detect.htm

What does the network status symbol show prior to it fully connecting? There could be some clues there if the driver update does not resolve it.

Hey Veyf,

I just went to that website and updated to the latest drivers. Still no dice unfortunately. :\

What is happened is as soon as Windows gets past the Welcome Screen the the Internet Icon with the Monitor has an X through it and then it switches to a circle spinning as it tries to locate the connection. After two to three minutes it pops up with the X again followed by a cone and then connects to the internet. I do notice that after the start up the whole Networking Manager for Windows is extremely delayed until it connects to the internet as if it is not responding.

I have pulled up the Device Manager to see if there is any issue with my adapter and one thing has popped out in regards to to the Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2, and Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface all showing cones around them in the device manager under Network adapters with the exception of my Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection.

If you folks need any other information I will do my best to provide it and thanks for the speedy reply!

Very Respectfully,

Adam

#4 Veyf

Veyf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

The above mentioned "Devices" are components which aid IPv4 and IPv6 interoperability.
If this is a home PC (or even for most small businesses that haven't switched over yet) this is not important and can be disabled.
You can check if you are using IPv4 or v6 addressing simply by opening command prompt and entering ipconfig. If the IP address is in XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX format it is IPv4. An IPv6 address will be twice as long and will also contain letters. Assuming you are using IPv4 continue with the below.

Open the Network and Sharing Centre and Select Change adapter settings. Inside there, right click your Local Area Connection and select Properties.
You should see a checkbox (Tick box) list of components your adapter uses which should contain both "Internet Protocol Version 4" and "Internet Protocol Version 6". Remove the tick from "Internet Protocol Version 6" and then restart your PC and see if that makes any difference.

It may also be worth resetting the tcp/ip stack if you have not done so already.
Open a command prompt with administrative rights by clicking the "start button" and then typing cmd. Right click on the cmd program result and select run as administrator.
Enter the following commands and please post the content of the text file created in the root of the C: drive. You may need to restart your PC again for the changes to have any effect.

• netsh int ip reset C:\netsh.log.txt
  • netsh winsock reset

Let's see if this makes any difference. There are some automated tools that will reset virtually every aspect of your network configuration but I believe it is better to try a couple of the common resolutions first, though that may be our next step if the above fails.

~V

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2012 - 10:41 AM.
Quote removed, space-waster - Hamluis.

#5 A.Thomas

A.Thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hey Veyf,

So I did what you asked and for some reason the text file is not showing up in the directory. I used Windows to show all hidden files and folders yet the file could not even be located with Windows Search. The problem persists with the delay. I tried the process twice and still have had no such luck. What would be the next steps to solve this problem, also thank you so much for the help it is greatly appreciated!

Very Respectfully,

Adam

#6 A.Thomas

A.Thomas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hey Folks,

I was doing some snooping around on my system and looking for any irregularities. I found a couple and I believe this has fixed the issue it has come back working after two start ups and has not been bottle-necked. Under the Services.MSC I noticed that there were a few of the Windows services for a hardwired connection were set to manual. I switched them from Manual to Automatic and now I login and it finds the internet after maybe 5 seconds as opposed to the original 2-3 minutes. It was not automatically starting causing the delay. I really appreciate the help provided by Veyf. Thanks so much for the help!

Very Respectfully,

Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users