Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional "clicking" sound inside PC?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hi guys, recently every now and then my computer will make like a clicking sound like lol um.. "click...click click click" and repeat 3 or 4 times and then stop for anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. It almost sounds like a wire, or bit of plastic gets caught in one of the fans, however, I've checked that, and it's not the case.
Worried that it might be my hard drive going, Hitachi, I downloded the Drive Fitness Test diagnostic tool, and well, I got lost at the menu's selecting any of the options brings up nothing to scan anyways, and my internet at the minute is currently capped so I cant exactly read the PDF file as it takes FOREVER to load..

However, any ideas? My harddrives backed up as always anyways, but its quite new, and I'd be rather annoyed if it is the hard drive..

Cheers,

DM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

You could always go first with the Windows GUI error checking tools. You can uncheck both Checkdisk Options or use them at the same time and look for any inconsistency from the report.

Tekken

#3 Veyf

Veyf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

Manufacturers testing tools would be the best choice if you suspect the hard drive.
For a simple overview you can look towards the SMART diagnostics (Almost all hard drive tools have these built in)

CrystalDiskInfo is a good tool for this and will give you the drives overall state in simple terms however don't take the summary as a 100% guarantee your hard drive is fine.

There are obviously lots of more advanced tools for dealing with hard drives, but if DFTDT confused you I would advise staying away from these.

You could just be unlucky and have a noisy drive, it's not unheard of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users