Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Zipped Files WinXP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 miriamdances

miriamdances

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:44 AM

When I download and extract zipped files from Internet, I get window full of labelled icons and can't access the program. What should I be doing?
Regards miriamdances

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 james

james

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:36 AM

I am no expert... but... I did notice your request, you should see something like "Extract files" on the left had side of the window when you are viewing the unzipped icons, just select that.

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:28 PM

That is probably the contents of the unzipped folder you see. The next step would be to double-click on the one that is:
  • labelled "setup"
  • unlike the others, is a icon that indicates it is the program
  • the one that is described as "an application" unlike the others
  • one that looks like a "setup or installwizard"
One of those files is the one we call "an executable" file. That one is the one that "runs" the program. It has a "file extension" .exe. The rest of 'em, like the "read me" have file extentions like .txt or .dll and they sorta help in different ways to make the software program work in Windows. It varys so much from one downloaded program to another that there is no set way to decide, exactly. If I knew which Windows type system you have I could help a little more perhaps, miriumdances :thumbsup: Once you open (double-click) the right one, the InstallWizard takes over and you are off and runnin'. Let us know how we can help you more. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users