Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible computer death?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Usko_Detra

Usko_Detra

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi, for a number of months now I've been having issues with My rig. Usually what happens is if it sits for a day or two, it's a devil to get started again. It'll start up, make it to the windows login screen, freeze up, then I'll manually restart it, then from there it'll either make it to the login screen and everything is fine, or I'll be plagued with problems for 5 or 6 restarts and it's fine. Sometimes I get a hardware failure screen, or it'll make it to the login screen, then the monitor will turn off and display "no signal", then My rig becomes unresponsive, or it'll make it to the windows logo screen, monitor turns off with "no signal", rig unresponsive, then upon restart, the "windows failed to start" screen will appear, or it'll start, but the screen will be black and the fans will blow at full, or sometimes My screen will get horizontal lines across it, then usually after restarting manually for 4-6 times, it'll work fine after that until it's next shut down.. Any idea whether My rig is dying on Me, or is it another problem? I'm pretty sure it's not malware related. I'm almost convinced it's My power supply. I've barely had it for 2 and a half years. Most of the hardware is factory default, but I only upgraded the PSU and the graphics card. If I put My hand on the back vent of the PSU after running My rig for a few hours, it'll get very warm, almost burning My hand. I'll list what I know.

Manufacturer: HP
Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9750 quad core processor 2.40 GHz
Installed Memory: 8.00 GB
System type: 64 bit operating system, Windows 7
PSU: Enermax pro 82+ 525 watt
graphics card: Powercolor Radeon HD 5750 1 gig GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI displayport

Edited by Usko_Detra, 04 September 2012 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Might as well continue testing the RAM modules or use atleast single stick and run a hard drive diagnostic test. If you have onboard video, this might be the time to use it also for additional testing purposes.

Tekken

#3 Usko_Detra

Usko_Detra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

Just an update, it was My PSU acting up.. I managed to get some money today and buy a new 500 watt PSU, everything's running fine so far. I also checked My motherboard for any damage, and nope, it wasn't a heat issue. If anyone else reads this thread and suspects the PSU going, hopefully this thread will help them diagnose the issues. Thread can be closed!

Edited by Usko_Detra, 05 September 2012 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users