Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to resize partitions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cbrysoncarter

cbrysoncarter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

so here is my problem, I have a laptop that has a 150GB HD and is it split into a dual partition of C: System Primary just under 30GB and then there is D: Logical at 115GB. This setup was done prior to us getting the laptop and we are shopping for another, but need to make this one last till we get a new one. The C: drive is almost maxxed out and has been causing issues left and right. I have loaded EASEUS Partition Master on the laptop in hopes of resizing the partitions, but I cannot seem to get the right results. I was wondering if it is even possible and if so, how do I go about it without losing my info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:36 AM

First thing to do in any scenario is to back up important documents by your external drive.
See this link http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-ntfs-system-partition-without-reboot.htm

Tekken

#3 cbrysoncarter

cbrysoncarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have backed up all my storage data from the D: partition and have tried to merge it with C: but it doesn't allow it. I almost wish I had another copy of vista and I would just wipe the drive and start over. I am almost to the point of trashing the computer from frustration.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I guess you're using easeus partition manager to do that.What error do you receive?

If you're using the inbuilt feature of shrink and extend in disk management then it wont work.

#5 cbrysoncarter

cbrysoncarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

I can go in easeus and resize my D: from 105gb down to 49gb and create a secondary unallocated space of 57gb. Its listed as a * drive that is an unallocated file system that's logical. When I try to do a merge option C: and D: are available to merge, but the new space is not. Even if I format the newly allocated space and title it F:, it is still only available to merge back with the original location D:. Does the status have something to do with it..C:=system D:/F:=none?

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Can you post the screenshot of easeus partition?

You have drag the pointer as instructed in this link

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/extend-ntfs-system-partition-without-reboot.htm

Is unallocated space between C and D ?

Edited by narenxp, 09 September 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#7 cbrysoncarter

cbrysoncarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image
Here is the current setting of the partitions.

Posted Image
Here is after the size adjustment of D:

Posted Image
Even when there is a new drive designation, it is still not listed to merge with C:, I can only re-merge it with D:

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

You didnot follow the instructions.

Check this IMAGE

Posted Image

create unallocated space BETWEEN C and D .You should be able to merge it with C.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

You didnot follow the instructions.

Check this IMAGE

create unallocated space BETWEEN C and D .You should be able to merge it with C.

The correct operation isn't merge what he need to do is to select the C partition and use the Resize/Move Partition option to extend the partition to use the unallocated space.

Merge is used to join consecutive partitions with data to get only one partition with the files from both partitions.

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 September 2012 - 11:41 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

:thumbup2: .

Easeus is rather specific on functions. You cannot "merge" unallocated space.

Louis

#11 cbrysoncarter

cbrysoncarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I haven't had a chance to do anything. The battery went bad and would only operate plugged up, but would still sometimes just shut off so I didn't want to risk anything. Replacement should be here Monday or Tuesday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users