Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacement of capacitors?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

I am working on a computer that i think needs new capacitors. Can they be replaced and if so what do they run? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes capacitors can be replaced. I don't understand the 2nd part of your question "what do they run?". Capacitors are used for various things in motherboards.
Just replace the capacitors with same voltage and capacity rating.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I should mention that it isn't quite that simple, They have to be the same voltage, Microfarads (uf), Temperature rating, ESR rating and Ripple rating and Physical size. Then there are garbage brands and High Quality brands.

They can be used to filter the DC voltages. Usually there are some 16Volt ones that filter the voltage into the Voltage regulator Modules that control the CPU voltage. Then there are the 6.3Volt (4Volt too) ones (Often 8 or 9) that filter the output of the VRMs. Same Idea with the ones that filter the reduced voltages that feed the memory chips and so on.

Bad ones can make the computer Blue screen a lot or only start up sometimes. They are also in the Power supply and video card.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2012 - 09:28 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

i meant how much do they go for?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

How much is a new car? Same thing with capacitors, there is a wide range of prices.

First step is figuring what you have that is bad and then looking for a good brand that meets all 6 of the specs I listed.

ESR and Ripple are important and can only be looked up from what you have. Places that don't sell computer grade capacitors would include Radio Shack in the USA. They only sell General Purpose capacitors which are useless in computers.

Go to Badcaps.net forums and look around the recapping your motherboard forum as a start.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Well rotor123 has given great information.

When I replaced capacitors in my motherboard, I just ordered Nichicon capacitors with same voltage and microfarad rating. I selected highest temperature range rating and they worked fine. Though only 2 capacitors were bulging, I replaced all the 16V and 6.3V capacitors.

I got 40 caps for around USD20.

Edited by Romeo29, 04 September 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Changing all of a certain value and brand once one has gone bad is great advice, Since if they are all for example fuYeh 2200uf at 6.3 volt, once one goes bad the others are not far behind. What Romeo29 did changing all those was avoid future problems in the near future as others went bad.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users