Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copy Operating system to another boot drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I made the mistake of putting W7 on a small partition of the 160GB D drive. I was not aware that much of windows 7 programing would not allow me to change the destination to install and insists on installing on the OS drive. I am looking for a way to copy, move or coerce all of the current system onto another drive without erasing that drive.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2012 - 12:23 PM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

A long time ago in a land far far away, while running XP Pro, I installed two identical Seagate hard drives and made them a raid pair. After running for a couple of years, one of the hard drives took a dive. I was able to determine the faulty drive and with some help from "Bleeping" able to reconnect the good drive and use it as drive C: with a little adjusting to the system and some loss of information on the drive.

I was able to retrieve most of the information from the faulty drive, but was never able to integrate it back into my system. My system just refused to recognize the drive. Whenever I connected the drive into the system, the system usually slowed down to the point where it took many minutes to start if it actually did, normally it just hung starting. Recently I was using the W7 system and found that it would actually start with the second SATA drive if I set the drive sequence correctly in the BIOS. Once I was able to access the drive normally, I formatted the drive. I am not sure if the problem is with the drive or if it still sees it's self as part of a raid.

Now if I start the computer from an off position it will normally recognize the SATA drive designated as G: and some time it will recognize the drive when restarting, today it was recognized and after running for several hours it fell off the computer list.

I am running a dual boot system with WINXP and W7, because of a hardware malfunction while trying to upgrade my mother board, I currently have not XP which is what I have relied on most for the past 2 years that I have had W7 installed, Office 2003 didn't work well with W7.

My system consists of 4 logical drives:
Drive C: is the third master SATA drive Seagate 80GB
Drive D: is the primary Master first partition 140GB Seagate 160GB
Drive E: is the primary slave Western Digital 120GB
Drive F: is the primary master second partition 20GB Seagate 160GB

The forth hard drive is
drive G:, when it appears, fourth master SATA drive seagate 80GB

Also note I am trying to find a way to copy or move the system from drive F: to another drive address in the Windows 7 forum.

Mod Edit: Topics merged - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 September 2012 - 12:26 PM.
Edit reflecting merged topics - Hamluis.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Get Acronis True Image. You can get it for free from your hard disk manufacturer. Create an image of your system partition (on which you installed Windows). Restore the image to your new hard disk. Remove the old hard disk. You may have to fix the boot problems using Windows 7 DVD. The data on new hard disk would be destroyed so backup it to another location first.

Warning : Before erasing your old hard disk, first check the new hard disk if the cloning/restoring works properly.

Acronis disk Image : http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

There are other similar software like
Easeus Todo Backup (free) : http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm
HD Clone : http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

Edited by Romeo29, 03 September 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#4 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Thank you Romeo29, I will try this later today, if I don't get an easier answer.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

What...is "the current operating system"...and why can't you just resize the existing partition and do a dual-boot? You can install up to 4 versions of Windows on any hard drive, partition spacing permitting.

I know that I'm not understanding something...I have XP and Win 7 installed on the same SSD on this system, with no problems.

Any number of utilities exist...that will allow you to resize partitions.

Or...if you have two hard drives, you can install your current O/S on one, Win 7 on the other. I also have a system set up thusly.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 September 2012 - 01:00 PM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I was not aware that much of windows 7 programing would not allow me to change the destination to install and insists on installing on the OS drive..

you must have chose upgrade ,had you chosen new install /custom .you would have gotten the option to chose what partition to install it on .

you best and maybe only option is what Romeo29 suggests

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

I have the upgrade version...had no problem installing on two different drives or installing upgrade as dual-boot on single drive.

It would be helpful...if the OP provided some info about the system involved...since options for upgrade with OEM systems...are not the same as those for users like myself who build their systems.

Louis

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

I have the upgrade version...had no problem installing on two different drives or installing upgrade as dual-boot on single drive.

It would be helpful...if the OP provided some info about the system involved...since options for upgrade with OEM systems...are not the same as those for users like myself who build their systems.

Louis

didn't mean they used a upgrade version ,when I install win7 or 8 I get the option to upgrade or do a new install and it then that I get a choice to pick what partition to install it on ,and format it if I wish ,the upgrade option me always install over the OS on the first partition, have a nice day

Edited by caperjac, 04 September 2012 - 02:53 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

A thousand humble pardons, I know I know better than to not post system information. I am having trouble getting my work done as I am using XP on my laptop and of course had many emails to catch up with as I do not use it that often.

My desktop, the one with the issues, is home built the following are the components and accessories:

Tsunami Dream Case
Antec 550 Power Supply
Also on system not currently running - OS XP Pro SP 3 (build xxxx)

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P4C800-E Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080009 09/02/2003

Processor
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Drives drive encryption
360.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.15 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L ATA Device [Optical drive]
LITE-ON LTR-12101B ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5" format removable media [Floppy drive]

ST3160023A [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5MT0YF5D, rev 8.01, SMART Status: Healthy
ST380817AS [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 5MR2VLAQ, rev 3.42, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD1200AB-00CBA1 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 1, rev 04.07B04, SMART Status: Healthy

Local Drive Volumes volume encryption
c: (NTFS on drive 2) 80.02 GB 15.39 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 137.44 GB 37.22 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 1) 120.03 GB 47.06 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 0) * 22.60 GB 484 MB free
A forth hard drive; drive G:, when it appears, fourth master SATA drive seagate 80GB

Win 7 Operating System is installed on f:

Processor
3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 512 MB

Printers
Amyuni Document Converter 300 on \\Sony\Amyuni Document Converter 300
Lexmark S410 Series on WSD-476d1505-a376-404b-b630-166f7c1a47f7.006a
Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:
Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:

Display
RADEON 9800 PRO (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Display adapter]
RADEON 9800 PRO Secondary (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Display adapter]
Windows Live Display Driver
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (24.0"vis, s/n KI24HVLS610121, June 2009)

Bus Adapters
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
Intel® 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD

Multimedia
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Virus Protection
Microsoft Security Essentials Version 4.0.1526.0
Scan Engine Version 1.1.8704.0
Virus Definitions Version 1.135.515.0
Realtime File Scanning On
avast! Antivirus

Communications connection speed & status
Agere Win Modem #2
Intel® PRO/1000 CT Network Connection
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.108 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:0E:A6:2D:AD:16
Connection Speed: 100 Mbps
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Networking Dns Servers: 75.75.75.75

Other Devices
VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (5x)
USB Input Device (2x)
USB Input Device (Logitech Download Assistant)
Intel PC Camera Pro
WSD Scan Device
HID Keyboard Device
Generic USB Hub (2x)
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
WSD Print Device
Network Map

IP Device Type Device Details Device Roles
192.168.1.xxxx Router Linksys / WRT54GS v1.52.6 DHCP Server, Gateway, Web Server

192.168.1.xxxx System Apple
192.168.1.xxxx Windows 7 Workstation Sony (in HOME) Web Server, Print Server

192.168.1.xxxx Windows XP Workstation Dell9400lt (in HOME) Web Server, Browse Master, Dialin Server
192.168.1.xxxx Printer Et002000b75006, Lexmark S410 Series / #444811990B6H0-114-0 Web Server

192.168.1.xxxx Windows 7 Workstation Johnswin7pro-dt (in WORKGROUP),
johnswin7pro-dt.hsd1.fl.comcast.net., Asustek Print Server, Browse Master, Dialin Server

I was not aware that it was now possible to reconfigure the disk space to adjust partitions. Not sure that would work here as the dirve is a 160GB with 140 as d: drive and the remaining 20GB of space is allocated to drive F: which is where I put Win7. XP is not working something happened to it when I tried to install a new mother board and only had one IDE cable and didn't allow me to have all my drives working.

Because of the limited space, I have not been able to install any Win7 updates for about 8 months, other than that my system was running smoothly, UNTIL, I tried to install the new motherboard. I am using WIN7 on the F:drive. Outlook is just not working the way I need it with my email addresses, contact list, calendar and tasks. I had them, when I was using XP, syncing to my iPhone.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

To all responding...please note merged topic at Post #2.

Louis

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

What I gather from your information is,
You have 160GB hard disk partitioned into two partitions - D: 140GB and F: 20 GB.
On F: you have installed Windows 7. I see your D: partition has 37 GB free space.
So what you can do is expand the F: partition and give it all the free space of D:. This way F: would become 57GB and that is good enough for Windows 7.

You can use Easeus Partition Master Home edition for this and its free. http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

#12 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Thank you Romeo29, I used your suggested program and moved the partition on the 160GB drive to give me more room on the F: partition. I am now downloading the long awaited Windows updates, 15 minutes so far.

Now I need to plan where and how to put all my data files, including photos that are on D: as clearly I do not have enough room to defragment the D: drive, another day.

Did I miss the help with why my G: drive, I reformatted it again last night, that keeps disappearing from the Windows Explorer and the disk management menus. Any suggestions? My intention was to move WIN7 from the F: drive to the 80GB G: drive, but if it keeps disappearing, that would not be a good thing. I would really like to resolve this issue before taking the computer off my desk, where I can work on it better, place it back under my desk and reconnect all the accessories.

Thanks fro your help.

#13 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

SO does anyone have any ideas why a drive would show up be accessible, then just disappear?

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:14 AM

Loose, dirty (corrosion), faulty, cracked cable connections is likely the most common reason.
  • Most likely the data cable, but could also be the power cable connection.
Less likely alternatives:
  • It is possible that the connection on the hard drive is damaged/cracked.
  • It is possible that the data cable is faulty.
Much less likely alternatives:
  • It is possible that the hard drive itself has a problem.
  • An even less likely possibility is that the motherboard has a problem.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users