Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Randomly Freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TeriBash

TeriBash

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

SYSTEM SPECS:
CPU - AMD FX 6100 Black Edition 3.3ghz 6core
MB - Asus M5a97
GPU - Radeon HD6670
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 8gb (2x4gb) ddr3 1333 pc-10600 cl9, 1.5v
HD - WDC500 Black SATA (Only Piece not new)
PSU - Thermaltake TR2 600

I just put together a new system (minus the HD) and was having serious problems with the system freezing. I suspected hardware failure and returned and replaced everything. After reinstalling everything I ran into the same exact probems. I formatted the original partition boot partition and attempted to install several OSs but the system would constantly freeze before completing. After removing the case front USB and Audio connectors from the board, the serious freezing has gone away and I was able to install both Win7 and Mint13. However, I am still experiencing freezing errors less frequently (sometimes I can go an hour or two, other times 5 minutes.) I believe it is possibly a hardware issue as this freezing is happening within Windows 7 32bit and Mint 13 64bit. I have no idea what it could be though. I am suspecting (but am really only guessing) that some setting in the Bios is randomly trying to overclock the cpu or ram and causing issues. I have everything in the Bios set to default, but have flashed the most recent Bios. I have run memtest and everything checked out fine. I have also used UBCD and tested the HD and no errors were reporting there. I do wonder if wiping the HD completely (removing all NTFS and EXT4 partitions) would fix this, but I really don't want to try this until all other options are exhausted as I have no way to backup everything I need on there. Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

What I'd suggest is that having spent that much already,
Make sure the memory is compatible with the motherboard. Asus can be picky.
Make sure no overclocking on CPU, GPU or memory.

1. Unplug everything except the hard drive and the Keyboard / Mouse, Includes unplug any drives except boot drive including DVD Drive. This also includes all front panel except the power switch. Disconnect all USB / Firewire / eSATA ports, Don't forget any addin cards. Front USB3 ports, Reset Bios to defaults.

Does it post with defaults or do you have to tinker with memory settings to get it to post? Might be the problem.

2. Still acting up, Unplug the hard drive and try with a new drive.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 September 2012 - 01:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 TeriBash

TeriBash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have done Suggestion #1 already (how I figured out my case front connectors were causing the original hang up.) I am going to try to get a hold of a HD tomorrow to see if that is the issue.

Make sure no overclocking on CPU, GPU or memory.

Thats the part I am having an issue with. I don't know if any of this is being overclocked or not. I have the bios settings at default, which is mostly "AUTO" for voltage options. I am wondering if possibly AUTO is picking the wrong thing? I however have no experience with setting anything manually and don't want to fry the system.

#4 TeriBash

TeriBash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

OK, I went out and bought a new HD and different RAM to test and I am still getting system freezes. I have no idea what the heck to do from here. I know both sets of RAM show up in the QVL list for the board. One is listed under "M5A97-AM3plus-memory-QVL" and the other is under the "M5A97-AM3-memory-QVL." That shouldn't make a difference on how they are set up in bios right?

The new set of RAM is Corsair vengeance 8gb (2x4) 1600, however would show up in Bios as running at 1333. Could that be causing freezes when that RAM is installed?

If so, how do I fix it?

Should I change the voltage on either RAM (+/-) to try to make it more stable or is it even a RAM issue?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I believe you have to go into the Bios and overclock the ram to get 1600 since it defaults to 1333.

As to memory voltage look at the memory and see what voltage it is supposed to run at and make sure the Bios is set the same.

Talk to Asus tech support too, It can't hurt.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users