Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leodav10

Leodav10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hello,

I found the topic in response to pammiebot to be helpful. However, I am stuck at the step after I install my zip drive and then download the mbr.bin.

I'm not exactly sure what the person helping uploaded and I didn't know if it was specific to their computer or universal.

I look forward to your help.

Thank you

Leo

Edited by hamluis, 03 September 2012 - 03:48 AM.
Moved from Malware Removal Logs to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

Topic referred to in the above post "... the topic in response to pammiebot ..."
Please provide as much detail about your system and about your problem as you can, so we have some idea of what we might be dealing with.
  • Do you have reason to suspect malware on the system, and that malware may be responsible for your problem?
  • What Windows operating system is on the problematic computer?
Please provide the exact error message(s) that you are seeing.
  • I take it that you are seeing some sort of "invalid partition table" error message at some time?
Have you dumped the MBR to file following the instructions provided by Elise in post #7 of pammiebot's topic?
  • If that is the case, then please zip up the mbr.bin file and attach the zip file to a reply so that we can examine it.
Edited to add ... warning! :exclame:
You wrote: "I'm not exactly sure what the person helping uploaded and I didn't know if it was specific to their computer or universal."
It was specific to the computer and the situation. Do not attempt to apply the fix provided for pammiebot's system to your own system!

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 September 2012 - 05:18 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 Leodav10

Leodav10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

The computer I am using is a Gateway NV52. Windows vista

The computer begins to start up and then stops on a black screen with a white blinking error stating "Invalid Partition Table"

The computer I am trying to resolve the issue and communicate with is a MacBook Pro. Does it matter if I am trying to upload the file on the zip drive? Should I use another PC?

I am new to this process, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Leo

#4 Leodav10

Leodav10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Just tried attaching the file to a reply, no luck.

I can an error stating, "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file"

Please let me know what the next step is.

Thank you

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

You are probably trying to attach mbr.bin or the file with some other extension. A file with a .zip extension can be attached, but perhaps you cannot compress the mbr.bin file to a zip format on a Mac? A file with a .txt extension can be attached, and we can use this.

To get around this limitation, simply re-name the file mbr.bin to mbr.txt and then attach it to your post.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users