Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed A Vista Skin And Can't Uninstall It

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dividedhood

dividedhood

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:33 PM

It installed fine and everything but when i go to uninstall it (by clicking Pack_Vista_Inspirat_1.1) it tells me, "Another Shell Pack is uninstalling, please wait and reboot if needed"

how do i get my computer back to normal?

i can go to properties>appearence and change it there but it's still in my system

so is there a way to fix my registry or whatever?

i tried using System Restore but that did not work. I searched Google and couldn't really come up with anything.

thank you for any input to help fix this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Just curious where you got this skin from? A web site? Which one?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

Use a system restore date that is for a date that preceded your installation of the vista skin.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 March 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#4 dividedhood

dividedhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

I tried using System Restore and it said:

"Cannot restore your computer to.." "No changes have been made"

Is there any other way I can fix this problem?

and why would System Restore say that?

#5 dividedhood

dividedhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

there is a thread here about this same thing but it's translated from a different language so it's kind of hard to figure out what they mean. maybe someone here can?

Edited by dividedhood, 14 March 2006 - 08:42 PM.

#6 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:15 PM

Once your Restore Points are corrupted there isn't much you can do to fix them.
It usually means deleteing them and start creating new ones.

Troubleshoot System Restore “Restore Point Failures” in Windows XP
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

How to troubleshoot the System Restore tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;302796

System Restore for Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

As for removing Pack_Vista_Inspirat_1.1 if there is no option in Add & Remove, look in the folder where you installed it and see if there is an uninstall icon.
Perhaps you can reinstall then uninstall.

#7 dividedhood

dividedhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:43 AM

thank you RR

for the folder i installed it in it only contains that one file but there seem to be other folders in C:\WINDOWS

one called pss. it has a couple files:

boot.ini.backup
system.ini.backup
win.ini.backup

and a couple others. it says they're backup files

I can't do anything with these, can I?

there's also a few folders in C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Vista\Shell

but none of them say uninstall

there's also a file in C:\WINDOWS called BricoPackFoldersDelete
and another called BricoPackUninst (this may be the one i need)
whish is are both Windows NT Command Script

I 'm pretty sure those have to do with the Vista thing

i found this in another forum thread:

"Step 4 - Troubleshooting
Now, as good as BricoPacks are, like all programs, you may still find a problem. This step is dedicated to fixing any problems that may occur. The first and easiest step to fixing a problem with a BricoPack is to simply uninstall it, per the directions above. However, if you have a system problem that may prevent Windows from running properly (i.e. you can't load Windows) there is a simple and easy fix. Simply put in your Windows XP CD and boot up your computer. Select to Restore Windows and type R at the "Welcome to Setup" screen.

You will now have a console with the prompt: "C:\WINDOWS >", type in the following EXACTLY or you could harm your computer: "BATCH BricoPackUninst.txt". When the operation finishes, simply type "Exit" and then reboot.
This should solve any problems you are having with your BricoPack, though you should be sure to let CrystalXP know about the problem via the contact page on their website in order for them to fix any problem and prevent others who haven't read this article and don't know how to fix it from panicking and hurting their system."

so basicallly i'm not sure if i should click that BricoPackUninst thing. so any instructions would be great as i really don't want to mess up my comp

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:35 AM

I would suggest following the instructions given for it's removal, and then report back here the results as it may benefit many others in the future.

I wish you had responded directly to my question as to where you got this skin. Now I can see from what you have written that was downloaded from CrystalXP. Probably for free? I do not know this web site, or these people, so I want to be careful about casting assertions regarding them specifically, but I can say with a certainty that I have seen many computers infected by downloading and installing these types of 'free' downloads. If it not Vista skins, then it is screensavers, or Log in windows, or some other design aspect of Windows. Of course these carry trojans that then infect your computer. A person has to wonder what would motivate someone to give you something of value like this for free.

Again, I am not saying that the folks at CrystalXP are up to no good. I have no idea. I am simply stating for the benefit of all who might read this thread at some point in the future to BEWARE of any free similar downloads.

I downloaded a skin from CrystalXP and sent it off to be analyzed for malware, but it could not be as 10MB is the maximum file size that could be analyzed and the skin was more like 24MB, so I have nothing conclusive to report about this particular skin, except to say that their forums are replete with people having problems uninstalling the software.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 15 March 2006 - 06:41 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

there's also a file in C:\WINDOWS called BricoPackFoldersDelete
and another called BricoPackUninst (this may be the one i need)
whish is are both Windows NT Command Script

This can be the uninstall folders needed.
Try and see at this point you probably need to backup all your important info.
I know nothing about this software.
It sounds as if your computer is running fine, you may want to not worry about the uninstall for it could hose your system.

Again, I am not saying that the folks at CrystalXP are up to no good. I have no idea. I am simply stating for the benefit of all who might read this thread at some point in the future to BEWARE of any free similar downloads.

Well said, bottom line, Beware of any software designed to modify the Looks &/or Operation of any operating system. Only use this type of software when it is designed by the manufacture.
Poorly coded & untested software can cause serious problems, memory leaks, Startup & Shutdown problems, just to name a couple.

#10 dividedhood

dividedhood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

I got it from a respected torrent site. (OiNK) No reports of any virus' and it's been up for a long time. A few comments said it uninstalled fine without any problems. it's 26.68 MB if that means anything

RiverRat, am i understanding correctly that I should click on BricoPackUninst after I backup my stuff? Just making sure.

Thanks for all your help so far guys

#11 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

I got it from a respected torrent site. (OiNK) No reports of any virus' and it's been up for a long time. A few comments said it uninstalled fine without any problems. it's 26.68 MB if that means anything

Have you check with this site to see if they have any uninstall info. or advice. Maybe the uninstall file got remove by a spyware scan or some other way. You might be able to download it again and the uninstall file will come with it.

RiverRat, am i understanding correctly that I should click on BricoPackUninst after I backup my stuff? Just making sure.

I can only say proceed at your own risk.. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help so far guys

You're Welcome
Keep us informed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users