Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

146 GBs of hard drive space missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FRiNKEL

FRiNKEL

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

I am unsure if this is a hardware or a software issue, as this problem came up after some disk repartitioning and resetting of boot files.

For those who don't feel like reading an explanation, here's a picture that showcases my problem:
Posted Image

And now for the explanation.
This whole endeavor began yesterday, when I had decided it would be a great idea to repartition one of my drives so, instead of having one 44 gb partition with my main OS (Vista) on it, a 144 GB partition with an older install of Server 2008 on it, and 2 GBs of unallocated space, I would have one giant 189 GB partition, with enough space so I could download some Android SDK files and a copy of Ubuntu (using Wubi, of course). I thought it was going to be easy and straightforward: delete the old 144 GB partition, expand the 44 GB partition to 190 (technically 189.92) gigs, and then party for a while.

Unfortunately, my computer decided to be a little brat.

First off, yesterday, after taking the old partition off of boot and deleting some assorted files, I restarted and, shockingly, I was given the error message "BOOTMGR NOT FOUND, CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART." It scared me, but with some program assistance I got the boot manager back up and running, and relaxed for the rest of the day, afraid to find out what adventures lie ahead of me the following day.
Today, I decided to actually resize the main partition to 190 gigs. But that came with it's own issues. After using an Ubuntu live CD to extend the partition, I restarted and the boot manager couldn't start up the computer, as expected (since the boot partition was being moved). I thought using bootrec on a copy of the Server 2008 install disk I had would fix Vista up, but instead it made matters worse by thrashing the MBR. I eventually used another program of mine (the same one I used to bypass the "BOOTMGR NOT FOUND" issue) to rebuild the boot data, the bcd and the mbr. A few "chkdsk /f" runs later, and now I'm here: My Computer says this partition is only 44 gigs large, yet the Computer Management thing says it should be 189 gigs large. I don't know what to do next.

Edit: Well, I decided to see if checking the disk in Ubuntu would solve the problem (I didn't think much anything would happen, since Windows didn't find anything.) Turns out that the drive wasn't expanded properly, so it properly re-sized it to my desired size of 189.92 GBs, solving my problem. I should really stop putting my trust in Windows products when it comes to discovering errors. XD

Edited by FRiNKEL, 02 September 2012 - 09:53 PM.

"I've done so much with so little for so long, they now expect me to do the impossible with nothing." - Source unknown to me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

Glad it's resolved. Thank you for letting us know.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Easy365online

Easy365online

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Shame, The picture was a gem. I looked at it and said "Oh the partition was never allocated when resized".
Wish I would have seen this sooner.
In the future, if you reboot into recovery mode you can see a disk managment console during a faux install that will show the unallocated space.
This was not a Windows issue it was inital configuration of the drive.
Man I love this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users