Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with removing several programs and other issues too

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 A-placid

A-placid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

(once again, if this is posted in the wrong section, please move it! Thank you!)
Hello. Got a new laptop, and it seemed I've messed it up a bit.. I guess it was me..

So.. a new laptop was filled with a lot of bloatware (read: the crap I don't need - ASUS laptop which had useless stuff, like Cyberlink's stuff and more). So I used iObit's uninstaller to remove all the items from the registry too. Then I googled for stuff that I don't need for startup. But after a while I saw that the WiFi connection kept keeping dropped. So I was on Google, I had one other tab, say Lifehacker. So, these two tabs worked - Google and Lifehacker. But if I opened another tab, the connection was lost. And after a while all the connection was lost. Disconnecting and connecting doesn't help - what did was restarting. But after a while, the same problem occured. So I found that people who have McAfee installed have had this issue - then I thought that I'll just uninstall it. But that was really challenging, and I actually didn't make it - I used both iObit's uninstaller and Revo Uninstaller, and I saw that they deleted the registry keys. After that I saw a white "box" and it didn't respond/load. I guess it was the McAfee's uninstaller, but saw that it took so long so I thought I'll cancel it, and then I'll go to Control Panel and uninstall it from there. The McAfee's tray icon is still there and the services are also working under the Task Manager. But I'm unable to terminate them, since I can't push the button to terminate them. So it seems that McAfee is somewhat uninstalled, but then again somewhat installed.
I also had a similar problem with Windows Live Messenger. The IT-guys had installed the newest version of WLM, but I don't like the layout of it. So, I thought I'll uninstall it with iObit's uninstaller, so that it wouldn't leave traces, and it would delete the registry entries. Then I downloaded the 2009 version, but the installer said that I already have a newer version installed and that if I want to install the older version, then I have to uninstall the newer version. But.. I did..

So to sum up all of this confusing text, I have three problems:
- I'm unable to uninstall McAfee's anti-virus, so I could install ESET Smart Security, which I'm used to
- I'm unable to install WLM 2009, since it says that I already have a newer version installed, which I don't
- I have a problem with WiFi connection dropping after booting my laptop after some time

I thought I'll make the System Restore, to see if this'll help. I'll let you know tomorrow, if it did.

If I'm unable to fix all of these problems next week, I'll probably just format the laptop, and start everything over. But umm.. I've only got an activation code for my W7 64-bit, but the shop didn't give me the DVD. But I did make something called recovery disk (some ASUS tool asked me to do it), it took like 6 DVDs or something. I'll see if this is what I need for installing my Windows 7 or I just have to download the installation from somewhere and use the key that I have. Well that's another issue, but not that big.

PS! I know all of this might seem to be a bit [or not a bit =(] confusing, but please go ahead and ask for further details to be sure of my situation.

-edit2- Now to clarify, it seems that McAfee's Internet Security is back, and it opened perfectly from the tray icon. And all my programs are also gone, which I had installed after the "system restore date/timestamp" - but I knew that this is going to happen, so no problem here. And what also seems to be fixed is the WiFi connection dropping. I'm wondering how I should act now. I want to get rid off McAfee, I want WLM 2009, and all of this without affecting the WiFi connection somehow..

-edit3- Seems that System Restore also helped for WLM, as I now installed WLM 2009 with no problems. So now there's only McAfee's safe remove left. I noticed that I haven't activated my subscription. Now I did it, and it showed it'll exprire in one month. Maybe that was the prolbem? I also found that there's something called: McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool. I'll try that later, and will let you know of the results.

Edited by A-placid, 02 September 2012 - 11:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Regarding the Windows 7 for your laptop, there are recovery partitions which you could restore to factory defaults and then you can remove applications you would not want. Iobit is one of them.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

I'm curious...exactly what happens when you go to Add/Remove Programs...to uninstall any application?

If a program cannot be properly uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs...you can always use something like Revo Uninstaller - http://www.revouninstaller.com/ .

May be useful, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic397185.html/page__pid__2246595#entry2246595 .

If you want suggestions on what programs are potential uninstalls on your system...please follow the directions following for posting a snapshot.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users