Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gray Screen on Compaq Presario CQ56

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Steelers001

Steelers001

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

My daughter has a Compaq Presario CQ56 labtop. This was purchased about a year and a half ago, so it is out of warrenty. Within the last few weeks a gray screen started appearing. She connected it to an external monitor and the laptop works fine with the external monitor. Sometimes the laptop screen will be fine and then turns gray. Sometimes it is gray upon startup and may change after several minutes. Also, when it did work properly, I moved the laptop and the screen changed to gray. One time, I turned it it on and it changed from normal to gray back to normal back to gray several times within just a minute. The computer uses Windows 7 and I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Professional about 6 months ago. I have made no changes to the settings. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Sounds like either the screen is defective, or the connector is defective. Since its out of warranty, you can try repairing them-but its not the easiest task on a laptop, and finding a replacement screen may be difficult if thats the problem. Tell me, does the grey screen appear/disappear if you move the screen back and forth?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:59 AM

The grey screen doen't appear or disappear by moving the screen back and forth. I think that is happening when the computer gets hot, but I am not fully sure.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

if the external monitor works fine, all the time, and the internal one does not, then I would say the problem most likely lies in your LCD screen.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have read other forums and they tend to suggest that a driver is missing or corrupt or the GPU is overheating. As I mentioned, I think that the grey screen starts when the computer gets hot.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

well, you could try reinstalling the drivers for your computer as well as running programs such as rivatuner or Core temp To see what your temps are when it turns grey, but if its working just fine on the external monitor, I doubt its the issue.

picard5.jpg

#7 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I am not sure what drivers to load. I will run one of the other programs when I get an opportunity to access the lapton in the next couple of days.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Gohere and look up your laptop specific number (should be CQ56-xxxxx xs being numbers and letters) You should be able to find all your drivers there.

picard5.jpg

#9 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

I tried reloaded the graphics driver with no positive results. I turned the computer off for awhile to cool it down and then restarted it. I wanted to run the heat program but when I started it up it went to the grey screen. I will try again later to see what happens. It will still work with an external monitor. I did find out that there was a class action lawsuit involving this model and problems with the GPU. I will probably need to take this to a technician to diagnose, but I do not believe that it's the LCD itself but it needs to have the chip repaired (heated as I have read and watched videos)and copper shims placed on top of the processor and video card. In addition clean the fan and heatsink. That's not my line of work. I would like to hear some other advisors/techicians as to what they think.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

One other stray thought.
If the screen is gray when the laptop is turned on and before you see the Compaq/HP logo then it is a hardware issue. This applies even if it only some of the time.

If it only turns gray in windows then most likely it is software.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

My daughter has been able to load windows and use the laptop before the grey sreen appears. I was able to load windows and use it this morning. At some point in time the screen turned grey. I then hooked up the external monitor and it works with no problems. I have noticed that her computer tends to get very hot around where the fan is located.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Is the fan racing? And how is the volume of air coming out, Also how hot is the air coming out. Normally if it were overheating it should shut itself off.

What happens if you go into the BIOS settings screen and leave it there for a while, an hour for example. Does the screen stay normal or go gray?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#13 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

I must have made it worse this morning because now white screen appears when you turn it on but everything loads in the back ground. The external monitor still works.

#14 Steelers001

Steelers001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

I took a closer look at my daughters laptop and I am convinced that she must have dropped it some point in time. I noticed that the case was cracked near the fan went and there were missing cross pieces over the vent. It could very well be that the LCD was on its way out. But I am still concerned about how hot it gets. I think that has been going on alot longer than the screen issue.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

For reference the Compaq Presario CQ56 Notebook service manual http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02657369.pdf

From looking at this manual it appears that you pretty much have to disassemble the entire notebook to properly clean the heatsink.
Also that to do a good job you need some thermal grease and the right thermal pad. I do not suggest this as there are delicate parts and connectors on the Motherboard. Break a connector and buy another motherboard.

Optionally if the air coming out is hot you can try the HP cleaning process as detailed here.
Reducing Heat Inside the PC http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01657439&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c00292159/en_us/c01657439/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

For future reference too: Help! Iíve spilled coffee on my laptop http://h30458.www3.hp.com/us/us/smb/887321.html

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users