Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating partitions on an external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I run windows 7 64bit and just bought a 500 GB HDD to use primarily for backups. The drive came with a few files on it (such as setup.exe for the software made by the manufacturer). I want to make 2 or 3 partitions: 1 for backups, 1 for random data, and a third for the stuff that came preinstalled on the drive; i could combine those last 2, i suppose (but I'd rather not).

So my question is: how do i make partitions on the drive without losing the stuff that's already on it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi,

You probably can use the Windows Disk Manager to resize the existing partition on the external HDD to create free disk space to create the new partitions.
Windows Disk Manager have some limitations and many times don't let the user choose freely the partition sizes...

My recommendation goes to EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition its a very good free tool, to work with hard disk partitions.
EaseUs is more simple to use and will not have the Windows Disk Manager limitations. First you have to reduce the size of the existing partition and then create the other 2 new partitions on the created free space.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Awesome! I downloaded it and it looks like it works perfectly.

Now, I have a final question for you.
You're obviously well-aware of my situation by now. Should I clean off my hard drive before sending it to HP? (I don't particularly like the thought of other people having access to my data)

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Awesome! I downloaded it and it looks like it works perfectly.

Now, I have a final question for you.
You're obviously well-aware of my situation by now. Should I clean off my hard drive before sending it to HP? (I don't particularly like the thought of other people having access to my data)

Hi,

Now that you have a full backup you can restore the computer to the original state, all the data and programs you add will be gone.
You can find instructions for this on this HP page.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the link...but it raised another question...
It sounds like performing a Minimized Image Recovery would be ideal, but it seems like it would eliminate the built-in "Recovery" Partition (D:)...is that true?
Shouldn't I try to keep the D:?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the link...but it raised another question...
It sounds like performing a Minimized Image Recovery would be ideal, but it seems like it would eliminate the built-in "Recovery" Partition (D:)...is that true?
Shouldn't I try to keep the D:?

All the restore options will not touch the recovery partition because its where the software used to do the restore is stored.

___
Rui

#7 R0D3R1CK

R0D3R1CK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

The Minimized Image Recovery Didn't go well.

Please go here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users