Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling W7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Curious Mew

Curious Mew

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:55 AM

A couple months ago I reinstalled my computer. A few days after transferring files back onto my hard drive (from an External Hard Drive), I decided to clean house and focus my attention on video files. I viewed and deleted lots of video files of all types and sizes, and it seemed that immediately after viewing one .flv file in particular, my mouse started to move very erratic.. and hasn't been able to move in a straight line ever since.

Learning from this I want to reinstall again, but this time tip-toe around that strange occurrence.

What are some things I should do to protect a reinstalled W7, before I connect the EHD housing all my files? I read something about autorun.. but I'm not exactly familiar with how that works, or even if its anything I should be worried about.

Norton and Malwarebytes are what I use, and neither of them have managed to find any problems with my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

This could all be a horrible coincidence ! Have you tried a different mouse just to eliminate the possibility that your mouse has gone faulty ?

If it is not your mouse, and you know what file it was, I would delete it from your EHD before you go any further. Then, if you feel you have to do a re-install, disconnect the EHD, re-install your operating system and any applications you want to, including your Norton and Malwarebytes, before you plug your EHD back in.

Autorun is that feature that brings up a panel asking you what you want to do when you when you put a CD or DVD into the player, or connect any form of external storage. It is not in itself a risk, the risk is that you blindly click 'Yes' without considering what is going to happen, and, if you want, it can be completely disabled in Control Panel.

When you get round to connecting your EHD, autorun will probably run - cancel it and do FULL Norton and Malwarebytes scans on the EHD before you copy any files. This should show up any problems, and any files with problems can be deleted before you let them back into your system. But check your mouse first !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Curious Mew

Curious Mew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

This could all be a horrible coincidence ! Have you tried a different mouse just to eliminate the possibility that your mouse has gone faulty ?

If it is not your mouse, and you know what file it was, I would delete it from your EHD before you go any further. Then, if you feel you have to do a re-install, disconnect the EHD, re-install your operating system and any applications you want to, including your Norton and Malwarebytes, before you plug your EHD back in.

Autorun is that feature that brings up a panel asking you what you want to do when you when you put a CD or DVD into the player, or connect any form of external storage. It is not in itself a risk, the risk is that you blindly click 'Yes' without considering what is going to happen, and, if you want, it can be completely disabled in Control Panel.

When you get round to connecting your EHD, autorun will probably run - cancel it and do FULL Norton and Malwarebytes scans on the EHD before you copy any files. This should show up any problems, and any files with problems can be deleted before you let them back into your system. But check your mouse first !

Chris Cosgrove

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, I've been keeping myself pretty busy here lately. Bleeping Computer really needs a mobile app or something!

Yes, I have tried different mice--both wireless and wired, but the mouse is not the problem. I want to reinstall right now, but I don't want this 'mouse bug' to hit my reinstalled computer after reconnecting my EHD.

Autorun can be disabled from the Control Panel? How so? From what I have been reading, autorun seems difficult to stop without a piece of software. I found a method that seems like it would do the trick, but I'm really not sure if it would work on my machine or not. I would hate to find out.

Another thing I want to ask; would Panda USB Vaccine and Bitdefender USB Immunizer actually work to disable autorun?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

OK, I may have over-stated the case slightly ! What you can do is set Autorun - or Autoplay as Control Panel terms it - to ask every time what you want to do so that you can close it and avoid it running each time.

Start - Control Panel. In the top right hand corner you will see the legend 'Display by', select 'Small Icons'. You will then see an individual icon for 'Autoplay'. If you click on this you will be presented with a list of Autoplay actions each of which is accompanied by a drop down box. Set all of them to 'Ask every time' and Autorun / Autoplay will give you the option of saying no every time you connect some form of media.

I have mine set to 'Ask' except for audio CDs and video DVDs which are set to play automatically, on the presumption that the only reason for putting an audio CD or video DVD in the player is that I want to listen to it or watch it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users