Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Windows XP Reinstsll

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 conniebky

conniebky

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hi,

I had to reinstall my windows xp on my dell d610 laptop. It installed it fine, and windows came up, but it was missing one ini file, and I told it to proceed and ignore that file. mistake.

Now, here is what I have: it boots up to my windows desktop, but I have no icons and it just says that I have to verify that this is real windows (validate -- ?) Anyway, it will not let me go any further. My internet works, but I think I didn't reinstall all the drivers.

I've gone to dell.com and burned all the correct drivers onto a cd, but it if course won't boot from that.

When my system restarts, I get a screen with 2 options - F2 or F12. I've tried both, but I have no idea what i'm doing in those areas.

I would like to just remove the bad install and start over, or figure out how to complete the windows install.

any help is so appreciated - I'm getting nowhere on my own !

thank you !
connie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

You don't need to burn the drivers to disc. Just download and install them. Start with the chipset driver. And if you think the installation is corrupt then by all means, start over again .... format and reinstall.

#3 conniebky

conniebky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hey ! thanks for answering me ! I had to burn the drivers to a disk because I can't get into Windows or the internet on my computer. It won't let me install the drivers, it just gives me the options of press F2 or F12 in dos - or whatever it's called now LOL.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

........... start over again .... format and reinstall.

I would just reinstall Windows XP again. Did your Dell come with a Windows XP Installation CD and a second "Drivers" CD?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users