Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu-ray blues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Just made a fool of myself by paying £5 (8 US dollars) down the market for a secondhand Blu-ray disc called "10,000 B.C" (cavemen v sabre-tooth tigers etc, don't laugh) but neither my DVD player nor my PC drive will recognise it. (I thought I was buying a proper DVD or CD, I've never even heard of Blu-ray).
I daren't take it back to try for a swap or refund, so is there any way I can make it play, for example by somehow extracting the data and burning it to a DVD or CD?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 01 September 2012 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

BluRay drives use a different laser than DVD or CD to read the disc.

The movie file could be any size up to 50Gb on a BluRay disk.

First Step you would need to use a BluRay drive to read the disk
Step two requires illegal to use in the USA and UK software. Which our rules forbid discussion of.
Third step You would need serious computing power or lots of time to compress the BluRay resolution down to DVD resolution.
BluRay is 1080i or 1080p resolution and DVD is 480P (i) so 1920 x 1080 resolution to 720 by 480 resolution.

My suggestion is return it, if not possible sell it and buy the DVD version.

Third option if you have a HDTV is buy a BluRay player and start watching in videos in HD.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Thanks, it's not worth me buying a Blu-ray player to be able to watch it, and it's not worth trying for a swap or refund because they'll simply point to their "No swaps or refunds" sign.
I'll sell it or give it away to somebody who's got a Blu-ray player and be more careful next time, the case looks exactly like a DVD or CD case except for the words 'Blu-ray disc' in very small print, grrr...

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Sorry to hear that. I should have remembered most if not all sellers will not take back a open video. I am a little surprised they wouldn't swap for a DVD version if they had one however.

Fortunately it wasn't big money such as $20 0r $30 US.

Good Luck in the future.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users