Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat sink for onboard graphic scalding hot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Exacta

Exacta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have a serious problem with the graphics on my HP Slimline s3700y computer using Vista Home Premium SP2 OEM. 4 years old.
I'll start with this question and then start other threads to cover other specifics.

One day my system froze (everything including keyboard, mouse, etc) and I had to manually restart the machine. When the system froze colored horizontal lines appeared on the monitor. Start up and it would have the colored lines appear and the system would freeze. Figured the onboard graphics was shot. Bought a PCI-e graphics card, installed it, went into BIOS to select which graphics to use. Problem solved...right? No. After approx 24 hours the same system freeze and colored lines on the monitor.
Posted Image
My only question for now is this: If I'm using an installed graphics card as my primary graphics then why would the heat sink for the onboard graphics get scalding hot? In Device Manager the onboard graphics doesn't show so I know whatever is appearing on the screen is due to the graphics card. I just want to know for now why the heat sink for the onboard chipset could probably light a cigarette. Thanks for any explanations in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

That chip is not just for graphics, it has other functions. Are any of the capacitors around it bulging or leaking. www.badcaps.net for examples.

You may be able to eke out more time from that computer if you get a fan blowing on the heat sink. I stretched one of those to extend the life by using wire ties to attach a fan blowing onto the heatsink and stealing the poser from a USB port. It went from being so hot it would burn your fingers to cool. The problem is that most likely the Chip is starting to go bad and this is a temporary fix. I remember I got six months more with the fan.

You may be lucky since a sample of one (me) is not statistically significant. I got that one used and no telling how long it had been run overheating. The sooner you can cool that chip the better.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Exacta

Exacta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

That chip is not just for graphics, it has other functions. Are any of the capacitors around it bulging or leaking. www.badcaps.net for examples.......

Thanks for the reply, rotor123. Nice to get a reply this quickly from a tech forum!! I'm inserting a pic of the heat sink and it being surrounded by capacitors. Even under hand magnification I do not notice any bulging or leaking capacitors.

I appreciate the advice about squeezing a little extra out of it and would probably do so if it wasn't a mini tower. Right now it's laying on its side with the cover off and just using it for networking purposes. In an indirect way your advice is to get a new computer....and it is the right thing to do. Just can't figure out why I should have a system freeze with a brand new PCI-e card with a fan and the onboard graphics disabled.

Again, thank you for answering my specific question. In four other forums I never got a reply.

Mark

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

The chip is still doing things. That is why I suggested cooling it, it may have the video as part of its functions.

This should be your motherboard model if you were interested in changing it. M2N61-AR (Acacia)

Looking at this page, The large heatsink is for the nForce chipset. If you look at this chart for the nForce 430 specs. We can see it handles Disk I/O, USB, Ethernet and several other things. Thus the heat and freezing.

Hope this clears it up.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 02 September 2012 - 09:29 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Exacta

Exacta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

This is information that I've wanted for 2 months that no-one would/could supply. I can't thank you enough, Roger.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Glad to help

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users