Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open .exe from cd in Win XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tgudroe

tgudroe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

I haven't tried to install anything from cd for a long time so I'm not sure when this issue started. I am running Windows XP SP3 on a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop. I recently uninstalled several programs including itunes and magicdisc. I am trying to install Visual Studio 2010 from a dvd. The autorun does not work so I had to double click the setup.exe. Originally it gave me an error that 'this is not a valid win32 application'. I have uninstalled the dvd drive and let windows reinstall the drivers. The problem progressed to a point where I could not see any files on the cd except the autorun file. If I right click on the drive and click explore I can see the files but the setup.exe doesn't do anything now. I tried to delete the upper and lower limit registry keys for the cd drive as recommended by an existing post on another forum but I didn't have any. Also, as suggested from another forum I replaced the upperlimit registry entry and now I can see the files when i double click the drive, but still nothing when I try to install. I also need to install office 2010 but am having issues with that as well. At first the setup.exe would do nothing, but after taking the previous steps I am at a point where it brings up the office splash screen but tells me the the language for the installation is not valid. I have been able to run .exe's from the hard drive and I was able to download visual studio 2010 and install it that way. I have also ran a virus scan with malware bytes and superantispyware (although I can't get this to update definitions) and removed one virus.

Edited by hamluis, 01 September 2012 - 11:06 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Exacta

Exacta

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Create a folder on your desktop and name it Visual Studio. Open the DVD and display all the files and folders on the disk. Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Copy. Open the Visual Studio folder on your desktop and then Edit > Paste. Alternatively you can highlight all the files and folders on the disk and then drag and drop them into the desktop folder. Once a copy of all files and folders have been copied to this folder, click on setup.exe. Does it work?
I've forgotten, but in XP if you can take a screenshot of the DVD contents do so and post the pic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users