Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is slow and task manager wont run

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hi! I was hoping someone could help me, Broni in the infected forums asked me to post here because he couldnt see anything wrong with my logs (thread here )

Basically, when I load windows in normal mode, its really busy,whether im browsing or just trying to open up a file or folder, as in the blue circle item spins around constantly. I have left it long periods and it still hasnt done whatever task. I try to do control alt delete to end the task and it cant even load task manager :(

However, in Safe mode it runs like a dream, no problems whatsoever, except that because the sound drivers arent loaded its not much fun and want to try and get normal mode back.

I would appreciate any help you guys can give, any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

Uninstall Norton

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Uninstall mcafee security scan plus

Download

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

This should uninstall avast.Reinstall it.

See if that helps

#3 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hi Narenxp thank you for your help :)

I have uninistalled them all now, and reinstalled Avast, unfortunately its still slow.

Ive noticed that the first 5 or 10 minutes its fine, then suddely it starts to struggle, and then it wont do anything :(

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Try a clean boot

http://www.askdrtech.com/solutions/post/How-to-perform-a-clean-startup-%28clean-boot%29-in-Windows-7.aspx

Let us know if that helps

#5 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi! My computer loads up really quick now, but within 5 minutes of surfing the web same problem happened again :( it just stops responding, even if i go read a book and come back its still where it was at with the busy icon :(

#6 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

uhoh disaster! safe mode or normal mode wont start up any more :(

I am now getting a Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. to fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer, 2 choose your language settings and then click next 3. repair the computer

In normal mode it crashes as its showing the microsoft windows symbol, in safe mode it crashes while loading driver atipcie64 :(

This laptop was sold with windows 7 already installed, so i dont have the disc, should I contact HP for it? I have a harddrive disclosure which is compatible with my laptop hardrive,should I try and save my data? there are alot of photos I dont want to lose :( Thank you for any help you can give

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

uhoh disaster! safe mode or normal mode wont start up any more :(

In normal mode it crashes as its showing the microsoft windows symbol ...

... I have a harddrive disclosure which is compatible with my laptop hardrive,should I try and save my data? there are alot of photos I dont want to lose :(

narenxp has alerted me to your plight.

Let's firstly get a look at that BSOD (crash) error messsage. Please do the following:
(the screenshots are from Windows XP, but things will be essentially the same in Windows 7)

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Advanced Boot Options" menu screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to start normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.
==================================================

Recover copies of your important personal files to your external hard drive for safety.

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
    • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
    • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at around 120 MB)
    • There are two versions currently available, namely Slacko and Lucid. Either will do the job nicely.
  • Linux Mint (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at around 120 MB)
  • Linux Mint (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.
  • Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 September 2012 - 02:41 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#8 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Wow you guys are legends, thank you so much!

Linx is working, some of my word files have a dollar sign and when they open only have gibberish in them, but i think these are old previous save files, i hope?

I tried dragging the files to copy but it doesnt work, says there is an error, also tried moving still an error, but it has no problem opening the files, kind of nervous until i can get this stuff backed up, any ideas how I might copy and paste? The external hardrive i have is brand new, seagate, does it need to be formatted? it seems to have some of their stuff already on there

I used Linux puppy Slacko

Error message for windows boot (there was no page fault)

*** STOP 0x000000 24 (0X0000000000190494, 0x FFFFF A8004 35e070,0 X FFFFFFFFC0000102 0 X 0000000000000000)

Thank you for your help I was so worried!

EDIT: I have managed to copy it onto a usb just fine so must be just the external harddrive ive bought, usb cant hold much though, should I format the externalharddrive?

Edited by chasmicdescent, 03 September 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

I am trying to figure out what the copying problem might be: "I tried dragging the files to copy but it doesnt work, says there is an error".

You are using Slacko Puppy:
  • Have two windows open on the Desktop, one the source folder, the other the destination folder.
  • Drag the folders to opposing corners of the screen so that you can see a good part of each of them.
  • You should now be able to see at least a good part of each open window at the same time.

Drag the file that you wish to copy from one window and drop it in the other.
  • Left-click (and hold down the left mouse button) on the file you wish to copy, and then drag it to a vacant part of the open window showing the contents of the destination location, and drop (release the left mouse button) it into that folder.
    A small dialog box will open giving options to Copy, Move, etc.
  • Click on Copy.
    Done!
If you get an error message, please provide the exact wording.

Did you get any errors when attempting to access either the computer hard drive or the external hard drive?

Edited to add ...
You wrote: "The external hardrive i have is brand new, seagate, does it need to be formatted? it seems to have some of their stuff already on there"
A new external should already be formatted and ready to use. If you are seeing "some of their stuff already on there" then all should be good.

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 September 2012 - 06:30 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

EDIT: I have managed to copy it onto a usb just fine so must be just the external harddrive ive bought, usb cant hold much though, should I format the externalharddrive?

Ahhhhhhhh .... just saw your added comments in your edit ....

Good: So copying is not the problem! There is something about the external Seagate drive that is causing you a problem when attempting to copy files/folders to it.

Please provide all the details of the external hard drive in addition to the fact that is a brand new Seagate.

Please provide details of the computer system you are currently using to communicate with us, as we might need to use it to check the external hard drive and figure out what is going on there.

Edited to add ...
We should get your important personal files backed up to another device before attempting to fix the problem with your computer which is likely to be a disk file-system corruption &/or hard drive problem:
  • STOP 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
    Usual causes: Disk corruption, insufficient physical memory, Device driver, Indexing, Resident antivirus, backup, defrag programs, Disk/Drive failing/failure

Edited by AustrAlien, 03 September 2012 - 06:48 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 chasmicdescent

chasmicdescent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

At the moment the computer I am communicating from is someone elses desktop, the Slacko wireless internet doesnt seem as easy as pie to set up as windows is, so I have left it

The details of the laptop are that its a HP Pavilion g6 notebook pc product code LQ475EA#ABU. Yeah the seagate drive is brand new out of the box, tried on a windows and i can drag and drop stuff into it no problem, just seems to be a problem with linux or my type of laptop?

the sea gate details are that its a seagate expansion USB 3.0 1 terrabyte , Regulatory model: SRD00F2

Edited by chasmicdescent, 04 September 2012 - 02:50 PM.

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

In that case, everything seems to be working as it should .... except for the inability to use the combination of Slacko Puppy and the external drive!
  • I have not come across that situation before ... and it's got me puzzled.
At this stage about all I can suggest is that you try a different Linux system (again, on a bootable CD), and see if that makes any difference.
  • Lucid Puppy would be as good as any to try.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users