Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Nics Don't Play Nice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Redgum

Redgum

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

If you've ever had two lan cards installed in a single System using windows 2K, you might have run into this problem. I've seen other systems do just fine, so I'm not sure what's up, but if any of you have suggestions, I'm open!

Problem: A single processor Windows 2000 Standard server has two NICs - one is a built-in gigabit ethernet and the other is a generic 10/100 PCI card. The built-in NIC is setup for a LAN on 10.0.0.X with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and the PCI NIC is setup to connect to the internet via DSL, with DHCP usually assigning a subnet of 255.255.255.0.

Upon boot, no errors. When you attempt to connect to the internet, you wont get anywhere until you first disable the internal card - type in the URL and then you will connect. You can then re-enable the internal NIC (the gigabit card) and your LAN will function. Every so often, I have to disable the internal LAN to get the internet browser to recognize the internet facing NIC.

What gives? This is driving us nuts! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tuco42

tuco42

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:00 AM

I have 2 nic in my system, w/o any problems.
Try this, shut down your system and unplug your power to your modem for about 30 seconds restore power and let the modem boot up, then restart your system.

I hope that works for you

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

You may want to setup the NICs with static IP addresses . NIC #1 10.0.0.1, NIC #2 10.0.0.2, and the rest DCHP, or run everything static.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users