Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop wont turn on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jev11

jev11

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Hi, I have a friends laptop that wont turn on. He believed he had some infections, due to a white line down the side of his screen while gaming, on the desktop and he even said during boot. He used malwarebytes to clean his computer. It found probably close to 200 items that weren't selected to to be removed, but he selected them all and removed them. He restarted his laptop to find that it was trying to do some sort of repair function, some sort of operation that froze during its process so he rebooted. He said it he had options to select a function but ignored it and just had to start normally. He got to his login screen were he couldnt use the middle row of keys, he first pw letter is 'f' and all the keys on that line had no effect.

At this point I believe he kind of shrugged it off and left is laptop off overnight to find it wouldnt turn on in the morning. I have googled some solutions and what we tried was to remove the battery, and ac cord and hold down the power button for 30+ secs. Plug in ac cord and turn on, which it didnt. After trying that process over and over it would turn on load to his login again were he couldnt use his letters on the 'f' row of keys. I tried to have him boot into safe mode but he was saying that when he turns his laptop on that its displays 'Toshiba' goes to screen where you can load bios, then after that starts to create the windows logo. I think its missing a post screen, but im not sure. He was unable to boot into safe mode.

I met him at work and I have tried again to turn is laptop on but I have not been able to do so. I have tried with no hdd, dvd and ram. Wont turn on. One thing I find strange is that when there is no battery, no ac cord, held down power button and plug in power cord that the led indicator light comes on, then goes off. Its been plugged in all night and there is no led light displayed. From what ive been reading this may be a sign of failed hardware or components but I guess I just dont believe it is cause of how he cleaned all those files that malwarebytes had not selected then soon after his laptop seems to be dead.

I am trying to help him out because he is on a tight budget and wont be able to bring it to a repair shop. Im hoping to try and get some possible solutions here so he can regain control of his computer.

I have been trying to google to find a few answers but I have been unable to get those clear. I am wondering if say, those files he cleaned were crucial to the integrity of his windows would that prevent it from powering on? I have read about usb bootable drives but im unclear as to if its possible to use that method to try and help the laptop turn on. Also was just wondering that maybe a new hd and os would solve it. Im also not sure why it is that I read to take out the hd, ram and dvd to see if it would turn on, but it didnt, what does that mean ?

Sorry if this is a bit long but I tried to provide as much detail as possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

To get into 'Safe Mode', tap the F8 key several times once you see the BIOS screen, but have a look at this tutorial which covers the subject in some depth :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Before you do anything else, if you can get into Safe Mode, use Windows Explorer to back up any data your friend may have on the computer, to a memory stick will do fine. If you are getting as far as the log-in screen you should be able to boot into Safe Mode as this happens before you get that far. I can see no reason for you to touch the hard drive, RAM or DVD drive, at least in the sense I think you mean of removing them.

From Safe Mode, try restoring the computer to an earlier configuration using a restore point. If that doesn't work, he may be faced with an operating system re-install, but come back before you go that far and see if you can get more expert help.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hello,

A few thoughts:

I have tried with no hdd, dvd and ram.

If the computer is receiving power and motherboard functioning, you would expect the computer to beep an error code.

One thing I find strange is that when there is no battery, no ac cord, held down power button and plug in power cord that the led indicator light comes on, then goes off. Its been plugged in all night and there is no led light displayed.

I am questioning whether the computer is consistently receiving power. A bad power supply (or broken wire) or a loose/broken power jack on the laptop would produce these symptoms.

• Test the power supply with a voltmeter to make sure it is outputting voltage or swap in a know good power supply with the same rating.
  • Gently "scour" (move in circle or side/side) the power connection at the laptop and watch for the led light to come on. If the light comes on/off, it could be a loose power jack.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users