Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop VS Laptop - Specification

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ezooone

ezooone

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Hello..I need an answer from the pro..I have 2 computers here..one is a desktop(THESILLYCABLE) and the other one is a laptop(MARKPORTABLE1)..
I hope anyone can tell me which one is a better computer and the differences between them..

I would like to know that because recently I played Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 games at both computer..the desktop works fantastic and smooth like the Xbox 360..however the laptop is not..there will be a little lag..

Thanks! I will post the specs for both computers in two post :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

THESILLYCABLE

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name THESILLYCABLE
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-78LMT-S2P
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon™ II X2 260 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F1, 05/01/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Malaysia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name THESILLYCABLE\e-zoo-one
Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.15 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.70 GB
Page File Space 2.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#3 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

MARKPORTABLE1

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MARKPORTABLE1
System Manufacturer FUJITSU
System Model LIFEBOOK LH531
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date FUJITSU // Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 1.08, 3/6/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale Malaysia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name MARKPORTABLE1\User
Time Zone Malay Peninsula Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.45 GB
Total Virtual Memory 7.83 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.32 GB
Page File Space 3.91 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

<<...which one is a better computer and the differences between them..>>

Better by what standard?

I don't game...and I'm not an enthusiast of any sort...so my opinions are just those of a user who tries to learn a bit each day.

But I assume that any desktop will be a better system for gaming...than a comparable laptop. Ditto for rendering video.

Laptops come loaded with software that users don't need...and this saps (IMO) possible performance. Because the components are in such a confined physical area...there is probably some negative factor due to heat/poor circulation of air.

IMO...laptops have one purpose only...to provide mobility of use/access to computer users who desire such. I don't consider netbooks as laptops, I think of netbooks as Internet-connection devices with a mobility aspect.

Your notebook has what appears to be a better CPU, in the eyes of many...and more RAM.

But...there's more to a system than just a CPU, as you have found out...and systems may have better performance than specs would otherwise indicate should be expected.

In the final analysis...your experience with the two systems is what you should use to gauge which is preferred, not just look at the hardware components, specs, etc.

Louis

#5 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

Thank you very much! Great info Louis!
Sorry for the confusing..what I try to ask is better in term of performance and you already answer it..

well..can you explain a little bit about the :-

1) Total Physical Memory, Available Physical Memory, Total Virtual Memory, Available Virtual Memory? why 4 of them there? what they do?
2) Both of the processor? which one is good? (not specific for game but its overall functions)

* sorry because of my stupid questions..kind a curious.. :P

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

well..can you explain a little bit about the :-

1) Total Physical Memory, Available Physical Memory, Total Virtual Memory, Available Virtual Memory? why 4 of them there? what they do?
2) Both of the processor? which one is good? (not specific for game but its overall functions)

* sorry because of my stupid questions..kind a curious.. :P

Your questions are not stupid :), they are questions that probably each of us has had to seek answers to at some point in using a computer.

Google provides much information about these sorts of things...but I will try to be concise and give you my take on such.

Windows...is set up to generate all sorts of statistics and numbers which make sense to Windows...but are not necessarily well-understood by users. Regarding memory...I will say that the only number which most users should be concerned with...is the Total Physical Memory, since this is the only number which truly reflects the amount of RAM installed. The other three will vary from moment to moment...and really don't reflect anything that the average user should be concerned with...but, as I said, Google will provide references which attempt to explain each.

Your question about processors...I have partially given my take on that. If you don't game and your system functions well...there is no need for a "better processor", IMO. My system does everything that I want it to do...and my processor is "slower" than the one in your desktop...but there is no reason that I see to get a "faster" processor or build a better system...unless I just want to get some newer toys.

Technically...Intel processors are supposeed to be "better" at performance than AMD processors...but the price differential when compared to the performance gains...don't make sense to me.

I don't consider AMD processors to be deficient in any aspect...I just think of comparable Intel CPUs as not worth the increased cost when considering cost/value concepts.

In any case, there's a ton of data on such accessible via Google that will confuse you with meaningless data and technical jargon. As I said before...the best approach is to go by what you experience when using both systems. If you find that one does something appreciably better...or fails to do something that you want done...that would be the time to start thinking about changes.

Unless you have the resources to just make changes for the sake of change...and want to go that route.

Louis

#7 ezooone

ezooone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

Ohh I see..

Thanks Louis.. you helped me a lot..

I will do some homework to know more about the other three memory..

Thanks again.. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users