Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What info is need when manually configuring a router??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ICE334

ICE334

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

I have a Linksys WRT150n Router that i bought. I had the CD that comes with it but recently misplaced. My mom recently switched internet service providers and now the router doesnt work, it needs to be configured, but i dont have the disc that will auto do it. I using the web address method by entering "192.168.1.1" in the address bar. Just want to know what all will i need to configure it, please go in depth if you need to, thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

What kind of Service do you have DSL or cable?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Or who is your ISP?
:mellow:

Chad Mockensturm 

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT150N

User Guide, Quick Install Guide and Data Sheet available

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 ICE334

ICE334
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:24 AM

What kind of Service do you have DSL or cable?

cable and im with Charter. Just want to go in and do it myself so i can use my router.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

Using the guides posted above you should be able to configure the new settings. If you are staying with the same type of connection, cable (not dsl, isdn, et )and just have a new provider and new modem. You should be able to powercycle everything and get a connection. Turn off the cable modem, router, and any computers. Connect the new modem to the routers WAN port and a computer to port 1 on the router. Turn on the modem and wait for the connection lights to glow steady (color and frequency of blinking vary). Now turn on the router and wait for internet light to glow solid. Now turn on the pc connected to the router. Check for internet by opening your internet browser. If this does not work turn everything off again and reset the router by holding in the red reset button on the back for 30 seconds. Turn on the modem then the router then the pc. Once you get a connection if you had to reset the router configure your wireless security. I reccomend WPA2-PSK and use a long key with letters, numbers, capitols, and symbols.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 31 August 2012 - 02:38 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I may be mistaken, but I believe Charter modems use the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet for the NAT side of the modem (the same one your router is using). If that's the case, you need to change your router's LAN-side IP to something different. For example, make the DHCP server 192.168.2.2-192.168.2.100 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 and set the router's IP to 192.168.2.1. All of these should be able to be changed inside the router's control panel under LAN settings.

Besides that, it should be pretty much "plug and play" unless your connection was using PPPoE or a static IP address. When you first login to Cisco-Linksys routers, your WAN IP settings should be listed in the middle of the screen. Make sure Auto (DHCP) is selected and not static or PPPoE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users