Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost programs after virus infection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 emartin

emartin

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Some months ago I had a virus that took me some time to remove. (See this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic445182.html/page__st__45__gopid__2631405#entry2631405) Since then there are some programs that have disappeared from my computer and I need to know how I can restore them. I did a system restore but that did not help. When I look for programs like Paint or Wordpad by going to Start and then All Programs they are not there. I also had Office on the computer and it is not shown there either. If I have a document that was written in Word it will open it with that program but I cannot find the program to create a new document. The missing programs seem to still be on the computer but I just cannot access them to open them to create a new file with the program. For instance, if I have a BMP file, I can click on it and then use the Open with command to open the file with Paint so I know that Paint is still on the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

<<...there are some programs that have disappeared from my computer...>>

If you can use them...they haven't disappeared.

The shortcuts which previously existed may not work properly, but the programs are there.

If you like, you can simply create new shortcuts to wherever...by either dragging or using the Send To option...to create new shortcuts to the .exes for a given program.

You can find the respective .exes by simply using Explorer view...going to C:\Programs Files...and looking in the applicable folders.

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

maybe the unhide.exe by grinler will fix this issue. giving that it was likely caused by the rootkit/Trojan issue in the other thread linked above
do you think

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

I think we need more info...on just what the OP is trying to say.

File corruption occurs with a frequency that, IMO, rivals damage done by malware...and it's not uncommon for files to become damaged during efforts to remove malware.

Louis

#5 emartin

emartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the information but I am still a little lost. Bear with me as I am not very computer literate when I get past the basics. In the past I could access Paint or Wordpad by clicking on Start and then pointing at All Programs and when the menu opened there I could point at Accessories and the menu there would have those programs in it and I could click on them to open and use the program. I know the programs are still on the computer but they no longer show on the menu. How can I restore them to the menu? I did search as told in the first response and after looking at dozens of files under Microsoft Office I found one that was for MS Word and was able to put a shortcut to it on my desktop so I can use it now. However I would like to find the other programs that are missing. How can I search for them and restore links to them? Thank you

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

do any programs show in the Start menu ,does the accessory folder still show up

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Press Windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

If you have SMTMP folder,let us know

I guess you will not have one because you're posting this after 5 months.

Only option you have is to manually pin icons to startmenu.

#8 emartin

emartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Press Windows+R key and type

%temp% and click ok

If you have SMTMP folder,let us know

I guess you will not have one because you're posting this after 5 months.

Only option you have is to manually pin icons to startmenu.

Yes, I have a folder named SMTMP.

#9 emartin

emartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

do any programs show in the Start menu ,does the accessory folder still show up

Yes, there are programs in the start menu but not everything that I know is on the computer. The accessory folder is there but some programs are not in it such as Paint and Wordpad or the calculator. Also the System Tools section is empty so I do not have things like defrag or system restore. I am not sure what all is supposed to be in there.

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

You're lucky

Copy the contents of each folder to respective location

%Temp%\smtmp\1:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

%Temp%\smtmp\2\:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name here>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\

%Temp%\smtmp\4\:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

good luck

#11 emartin

emartin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

You're lucky

Copy the contents of each folder to respective location

%Temp%\smtmp\1:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

%Temp%\smtmp\2\:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name here>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\

%Temp%\smtmp\4\:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

good luck

I copied the folders as instructed and now I can find the programs I need. Thanks to all who took time to offer advise.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

You're most welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users