Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to upgrade tomorrow need help ASAP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kiririn

Kiririn

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

I was thinking of upgrading a few parts in my old PC which i hooked up to my TV to watch movies and streams on my TV, i was thinking of replacing the CPU and GPU but i don't know if the motherboard will be compatible with the part that i'm looking at and if the power is enough to support the new parts.

Reason being for the upgrade is that GW2 has just come out and a friend of mine that wasn't really into PC gaming was thinking of picking a copy up because i won't shut up about it hehe, so i was told him that i had an old pc that i could fix up and sell to him that will run GW2 on at least low settings, i installed GW2 on the PC with its current CPU and GPU and it runs fine on a mix between low&medium.

The current CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+.
The current GPU is an NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 520 1GB DDR3 Overclocked.

I was thinking of replacing the CPU with either the AMD Fx4100 3.6ghz or if possible the AMD Fx4170.
And for the GPU i was thinking maybe a GTX550ti 1gig.

The current PSU is 500watt, 230volt, 10amp, 50-60hz.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P AM2+.

Basically what i want to know is if i buy these parts and put them into the computer will the computer will they actually work and will GW2 run better.

Thank you for the replies i really appreciate them all and i will be checking back on and off throughout the day!

EDIT: Forgot to ask, will i need additional cooling or will the fans that come with the CPU and GPU be enough?

Edited by Kiririn, 30 August 2012 - 09:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Watch the motherboard version. You will have to look at the motherboard to see the hardware version number and then use the list below to see what CPU you can use. Also take note o fthe Bios version.
CPU Support page

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Kiririn

Kiririn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

Watch the motherboard version. You will have to look at the motherboard to see the hardware version number and then use the list below to see what CPU you can use. Also take note o fthe Bios version.
CPU Support page

Roger

Thanks a lot!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I should add that I'm not seeing either of the CPUs you asked about. You can only use the ones on that list.

Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Kiririn

Kiririn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

I should add that I'm not seeing either of the CPUs you asked about. You can only use the ones on that list.

Luck
Roger

I am going to replace the CPU+GPU+Mobo with

AMD FX-4 4170 Black Edition 4 Core 4.2GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI FAN PCI-E Graphics Card
Asus M5A78L-M LX AMD Socket AM3+ onboard VGA 8 Channel HD Audio mATX Motherboard

If i take out the old motherboard+CPU+GPU then put everything back in and plug in my harddrive and all the other stuff will my computer just boot normally?

I am currently using a 500watt power supply in it is that enough to power everything and will i need extra cooling?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Be advised that the Asus M5A78L-M does not support all of the functions of the FX CPU's as it isn't using an AMD 900 series chipset. However, there are also few motherboards that are mATX that fully support AM3+ since they are intended to be geared towards desktops and not small HTPC's or cases. You'll have to accept either reduced features, upgrade to a full ATX board and possibly case if your's cannot handle it, or go for a different platform. Have you considered getting an AMD APU-based system? It would be more advanced than what you're currently using. You will also need DDR3 memory and a new copy of Windows if you aren't using a full, boxed, retail copy to comply with the license.

For an AMD APU system, I would suggest...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 - A basic motherboard that supports DDR3 and socket FM1 CPU's. $109

APU/CPU: AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz - Think of this as a quad core Phenom II part combined with a Radeon 6550. $109

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Should be plenty. $44

3939.png

#7 Kiririn

Kiririn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Be advised that the Asus M5A78L-M does not support all of the functions of the FX CPU's as it isn't using an AMD 900 series chipset. However, there are also few motherboards that are mATX that fully support AM3+ since they are intended to be geared towards desktops and not small HTPC's or cases. You'll have to accept either reduced features, upgrade to a full ATX board and possibly case if your's cannot handle it, or go for a different platform. Have you considered getting an AMD APU-based system? It would be more advanced than what you're currently using. You will also need DDR3 memory and a new copy of Windows if you aren't using a full, boxed, retail copy to comply with the license.

For an AMD APU system, I would suggest...

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 - A basic motherboard that supports DDR3 and socket FM1 CPU's. $109

APU/CPU: AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz - Think of this as a quad core Phenom II part combined with a Radeon 6550. $109

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Should be plenty. $44

Thanks!
This is the detailed answer i've been looking for!
I will look further into boards before i head to the store and buy something that isn't going to work :)

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Well, it's not like that motherboard you chose won't work with that CPU, instead, it won't use all of the features.

3939.png

#9 Kiririn

Kiririn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well, it's not like that motherboard you chose won't work with that CPU, instead, it won't use all of the features.

i decided to go with a phenom x6 1100t i think it is called but the motherboard i purchased didn't fit so i am sending it back and picking up a new one :P thanks for the help!

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

What kind of case do you have?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users