Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen before Windows Login

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

I posted here a few days ago: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic466483.html

I re-installed Windows 7, and one by one re-installed things with a restart between each successful install.
It turns out my video card driver is causing the issues.
I have an ATI Radeon 5450 graphics card installed in PCIe.
I used Driver Genious to get my driver and then I couldn't reboot (same black screen problem). System Restore got me going again.
I then went to ATI's site and tried their auto-detect tool to grab the driver, restarted and black screen. System Restore.
I went back to ATI two times, once to manually get the driver, and once for a beta, with the same black screen results.
What can I do?
I was going to try to flash my Video Card BIOS and see if that helped, but I couldn't find the correct BIOS file.
Any other ideas?

A little extra info:
I have had this video card for about 9 months and this is the first problem I've had. I bought it when my onboard graphics card managed to get cooked (the rest of my motherboard is fine).
I am still using the Radeon now, but dxdiag tool says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" instead of the proper name it used to have. I am not using VGA, I'm plugged in to HDMI.

My PC is:
CPU: AMD Phenom Quad Core 2300mHz
RAM: 6GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon 5450
MB: Asus M4A78 Pro

Edited by crybllrd, 30 August 2012 - 05:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Just a suggestion, have you tried going to the computer manufacture web site and looking for the driver for you specific computer?

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I built my computer myself. I lived in Taiwan for a bit and for just a few hundred dollars I got a top of the line PC built :)

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

It really sounds like your 5450 is going bad. I just had a 5450 go bad on me so maybe I'm a little bitter :)
Mine started getting louder and I noticed what looked like a few dead pixels on my screen. Eventually, it started behaving somewhat like yours.

If the onboard video is working and the 5450 is working in VGA mode then the next thing to test is to try putting it in another computer and see if the problem happens again.

I understand that it may be hard to find another computer that you can try it in but that will tell you for sure if it is the video card or not.

Don't try to flash the BIOS or reflow the solder(which has only worked for me with Xbox360 repairs and NEVER with video cards) unless you are ready to throw the video card in the trash and it is just something fun to try.

James

Edited by James Litten, 30 August 2012 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users