Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Pc For Games So

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigbondoo7

bigbondoo7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

.. First i decided to buy a xbox but now finally iam updating my PC:

this is what i have right now:
256mb ram (Kingston)
2.0ghz celeron
80gb 7200rpm disc (Seagate)
64mb intel 82845g (Integrated)

Its a Fine pc for playing Fine games ... but not much !
So gonna update few things which will make
768mb ram (Kingston)
2.0ghz Celeron (Cant upgrade it for atleast 6months-a whole year)
256mb geforce card ( not sure which one maybe a 6600 )
disc is just enuf

So ... everything is going well BESIDES the processor ...i was checking out requirements for all the games using high ram and a huge video memory but most of them had more than 2.0ghz pentium IV requirement as the recommended ones ... This freaked me out!! , .. I have a celeron 2.0ghz ( maybe like a pentium iv 1.6ghz ) ... How much that would effect the gaming performance?? .. And around how many frames will i get per second in games like DOOM 3 and FAR CRY..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

You should get playable frame rates if you turn of all kinds of fancy stuff (HDR/AA/AF) and keep the quality low, and modest resolutions. Newer games likely won't run, especially things with lots of physics or AI, and even if they run your looking at frame rates like 2.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

You should be able to run far cry with your new upgrades, as I was running that game with a lesser computer. For a graphics card, IMHO, since you're looking at the 6600 series, I think that the nvidia 6600gt is the best bang for the buck right now. It's a little more than $100, comes in agp and pci-e, and can run any game out as of right now. It's got good clock speeds, specially if you get one that's already overclocked from the manugacturer. Just make sure that your power supply will run the card. The only thing that might hold you back is your processor, but a decent graphics card like the 6600gt will help you along.

Now, that's an odd amount of ram...what are the chances of you going up to 1gb ram? That will help a lot, and it's a great upgrade too, that'll help with gaming and computer speed in general.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:13 PM

Yea the RAM number looked odd.

I'd say out with the 256(?) you had in it and just grab two 512 sticks in its place. The CPU seems a little low but the other thing I am wondering about is the current integrated graphics you have right now. Don't the integrated graphics prevent (or hinder performance of) a new GPU from being put it?

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Yea the RAM number looked odd.

I'd say out with the 256(?) you had in it and just grab two 512 sticks in its place. The CPU seems a little low but the other thing I am wondering about is the current integrated graphics you have right now. Don't the integrated graphics prevent (or hinder performance of) a new GPU from being put it?

You should be able to "disable onboard graphics" in the BIOS. Usually, a computer is set up to auto configure, so at startup, if the motherboard sees that there is a graphics card in the AGP slot, it should automatically disable the onboard graphics, and start using the graphics card itself.

But you are right about the ram...the more the merrier.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

One little thing if you plan on changing the processor you might have to change the motherboard.

If you decide to change the processor and motherboard go with either a P4 or an AMD Athlon 64. Personally I like the Athlon 64, they are excellent gaming processors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users