Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Lag Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CurseofCurves

CurseofCurves

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hi! I'd like some help identifying the cause of my computer lag issues and possibly identifying an upgrade to purchase. I am fairly computer literate, but I am not a computer genius. I'm looking to fix or upgrade this at minimal cost to the point where I can play a game at a reasonable (2 digit) fps and have a tab open in the background.

My computer specs are as follows:

Windows XP
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
3.50 GB RAM
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
C: 232 GB total, 113 GB free
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
500W Power Supply

I play World of Warcraft and sometimes Diablo 3.

In WoW, if I am in a non-populated zone and not in a party or raid, I get 25-35 FPS, sometimes 50+ if I'm alone. If I join an instance, raid, or bg, I get 2-5fps. These numbers are without anything else running on the computer. If I'm in a non-populated area and open a browser (Chrome or Firefox) my fps drops significantly as well. It drops to near nothing if I try to open youtube or pandora on the browser. If I try to raid or instance with another tab open, well I might as well forget it. There is a very slight improvement when I play WoW in fullscreen mode instead of windowed mode.

Not only does WoW slow down when I try to run another program, the rest of my computer slows down when I run WoW. If I try to run more than one program on my computer, the whole thing seems to slow to a crawl. (Granted if I don't have WoW running I usually have something like Pandora or Youtube going in a browser tab.)

I have defragmented my harddrive. I have ran AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. And, I have updated my video card drivers. I haven't been able to find any real resource hogs in my processes.

I don't believe that I should be having this much computer lag with my computer specs, but there's possibly something I'm missing. The only reason I've even gone back to this desktop is because I'm having a problem with my laptop as well. (My laptop has begun to overheat if I play WoW, watch a video, or run with a couple of tabs open. I suspect that the internal fan has stopped working and the external cooler pad is not enough and apparently there is no real fix for this.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dare I ask that you've tried playing WoW on low graphics settings to see if it's any different? I know in the video settings video particle emitters or something is a bit of a pain when it comes to fps

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

What kind/speed of internet connection do you have? Lag(due to high ping) is usually the result of trying to push a lot of data on a small data stream. Which would be why you see it in the groups since there is much more visual data to be tracked. If you are getting good ping numbers(sub 40) but bad frame rates a video card upgrade would be in order since you are several card generations behind.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users