Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Line In - No Sound!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 japal4649

japal4649

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

Hoping someone can help with this problem. I often record tapes from a cassette player via a lead into the mic jack and record into MP3. THis has worked fine for a long time, and i use a simple recording software, and can hear what i am recording through my pc speakers.

however..... all of a sudden, i now get no sound coming from my speakers on my pc.....but i can still record, and the recording software shows the level of audio coming thru. It is now really difficult to record as I cant hear and adjust the record volume.

all my other prgrams work fine....when i play any kind of sound file on my pc, it plays back as it should. it is only when i plug in to the mic jack that nothing comes out.

any ideas.

regards,

alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

Are you using a sound card? If so, what kind?

Not to point out the obvious, but go through ALL of your settings for the sound and make sure that they're set properly. Then, go through all of the settings for your recording software, and again, check to make sure that they're set properly too.

I actually have a similar issue, when I use chat (voice chat) and some other programs that require the use of a mic, either my sound card programs, or windows itself likes to toy with the settings so that I have to scratch my head and figure out which buttons to click on and/or off. Usually, my mic or output settings has changed, and turning them back on will fix the problem.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 japal4649

japal4649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

HI,

I have a Conexant AMC Audio....will continue to look around and fiddle here and there and see what happens. It is possible that some piece of software, or I myself have changed something one day that has caused this prob.

alex

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

HI,

I have a Conexant AMC Audio....will continue to look around and fiddle here and there and see what happens. It is possible that some piece of software, or I myself have changed something one day that has caused this prob.

alex

Yes, it's quite possible that you've changed something, probably without knowing it. It's also possible that the software has defaulted back to a different setting which is the cause of the problem(s). I know that when my sound and/or mic stops working, it's because I've started a few different programs that have different settings, so I have to go back and figure out what has changed.

You said that you're running Conexant AMC audio....is that a sound card, onboard audio, or a software program?

Also, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programs that you're having issues with, including the audio drivers? Sometimes this is a "quick fix" to problems.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 japal4649

japal4649
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

Im pretty sure Conexant is the sound card. I might try reinstalling it. It could possibly be an issue with media monkey (audio software similar to winamp) - which i have only had for a few months now. If reinstalling the driver doesnt work, then Ill try uninstalling media monkey.

Thanks for your help. ill see how I go in the next few days (when i get time to do this)

regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users