Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

card reader not accepting XD n+ 2gb memory card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 markr9

markr9

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I am trying to find a fix for an HP Pavilion a705w system built in card reader. It connects to a usb port internally.

It will read XD cards from an OLympus camera no problems.
A XD m+ 2gb card does not work. I get an error about formatting it and the format screen only gives 978mb as the option.

The win xp drivers for the card reader are up to date.

Does anyone know how to get this working ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

XD cards have the same problem as SD/SDHC in that newer hicap/highspeed cards often don't work on older readers. You might find a USB reader to read the new cards, but XD is a dead format and it might be tougher to find a reafer for it vs SD.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

Hi

Dpunisher is right. Is it possible to put it in the camera and connect the camera to the computer. I've had good results doing this in similar situations especially when doing recoveries of damaged cards that don't show up in a standard card reader.

James

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Card Reader for $00.39 + $3.00 shipping....

Amazon.com: Premium Olympus Stylus 730 USB XD Card Reader/Writer: Computers & Accessories
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 markr9

markr9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I borrowed a card reader to try and it worked no problems.

I was hoping for an updated driver but the new reader should not be that expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users