Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which video card would be best with my setup/needs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 burnface

burnface

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I've been piecing together a desktop for a while, and all I have left (for now) to upgrade is the video card. I'll probably do some gaming, but mostly Photoshop and stuff like that.
These are the two I'm debating between:
EVGA GeForce GTX 550
or
Asus Radeon HD 6670

For the most part it looks like the EVGA one is a little more powerful, but I don't have a huge amount of experience yet.
Here's what else I have right now:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 A+
Processor: AMD Phenom II Black Edition
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Power Supply: RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 530W
Running Windows 7 Pro x64

Any suggestions on which would work out best/fastest for me?

Thanks a ton, and sorry if I'm missing something, let me know!

Edited by Budapest, 29 August 2012 - 04:02 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Personal opinion is that I would go for the one that runs coolest, and quietest, not necessarily fastest if they are close together in speed.
Power usage may have an effect on your decision depending on how much you worry about your electric bill or being green.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I have the GTX 550 TI. It works well for what I do and it has proven to be quite reliable, my machine runs almost 15 to 20 hours a day. It does run a little on the hot side but with a good case its fine. Performance wise I can get a stable 60 FPS on java games while running a youtube video and a java editor with a dual screen setup.

The only thing I would recommend with this list is a better more powerful power supply. The GTX 550 TI alone sucks up 400W and thats what is recommended from the manufacture, it can peak much higher when under load. But with that price I can understand why you would go for that. :) The GTX 550 does run a bit louder than other cards that I have had but with me I just don't worry about noise.

Edited by computerxpds, 29 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 SophiaChristchurch

SophiaChristchurch

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

I've been piecing together a desktop for a while, and all I have left (for now) to upgrade is the video card. I'll probably do some gaming, but mostly Photoshop and stuff like that.
These are the two I'm debating between:
EVGA GeForce GTX 550
or
Asus Radeon HD 6670

For the most part it looks like the EVGA one is a little more powerful, but I don't have a huge amount of experience yet.
Here's what else I have right now:

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 A+
Processor: AMD Phenom II Black Edition
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
Power Supply: RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 530W
Running Windows 7 Pro x64

Any suggestions on which would work out best/fastest for me?

Thanks a ton, and sorry if I'm missing something, let me know!

I would suggest you use this one EVGA GeForce GTX 550 because its what my friends are using and they are all gamers...

#5 burnface

burnface
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thank you all for you answers!! I went by a combination of what you said, and some other reviews and went with the GTX 550 :) Can't wait!
Again, thanks a ton. I'll be coming back here I'm sure!

-Shaun Z.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users