Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

infected and can't boot up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 branditx22

branditx22

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

I operate on Vista and have been using Kaspersky 2012 for antivirus. I homeschool my kids and have started using the latest Firefox for internet. In the last couple of weeks I've had some weird problems. My wireless router settings reset on their own. A few days later internet started freezing on me fairly often. I tried IE and still had the freezing problem. The last couple of days I've tried to do a full scan with Kaspersky and the computer would crash and say it was trying to boot from CD. Yesterday after tryingto scan it crashed and wouldn't boot up. Various error codes: system volume on disk is corrupt, atbroker.exe corrupt, hard drive not found, etc. I don't know how I did it but after running startup repair repeatedly I was able to boot up and I should have known better but I tried kaspersky scan and it crashed. Now I'm back to doing startup repair to infinity again. I have tried to start in safe mode repeatedly but it just restarts or crashes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'm a new member myself and I'm certainly not an expert but I am very interested in whether or not you are able to solve your problem

How are you doing the startup repair?

I suspect others will have better recommendations for you but I have rescued some of my friends computers with the following procedures
--- Set up your computer as a standalone unit
--- Disconect your computer from being able to connect to the internet: Shut off your wireless router and/or your ISP provided modem
--- The idea is to not allow whatever infection(s) you have from being able to call home when you boot up the computer
--- I know you said you cannot boot into Safe Mode but try it again

If it still doesn't boot into Safe Mode, then you are back to square one

However, if it does boot into Safe Mode, do some maintenance items:
--- go into Control Panel, Internet Options and clear your Browsing history including checking delete browsing on exit
--- Then go into the Advanced tab and set the cookies to Override automatic cookie handling: Accept first party cookies, block third party cookies & allow session cookies
--- Run disk cleanup
--- Then go into startups and uncheck everthing (Look for and record unrecognizable items and note if there are some blank entries)
--- Shut the computer down. Start back up in Safe Mode again
--- If you get this far, please post back and let us know that the computer is at least functioning and the next step forward will need to be determined

#3 branditx22

branditx22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

No dice. It still says "windows error recovery, launch startup repair" then goes to "system recovery options". I have to select a keyboard layout and then I have an option to "load drivers" but all folders are empty. I click through to something that says "choose a recovery tool". I try command prompt to do "chkdsk/f" but it says cannot run volume in use by another process. I run "chkdsk" it shows a couple of attribute records corrupt. It says "errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read only mode." Exit cmd. Then select "startup repair" option. Eventually blue screen "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer, etc." At the bottom it says "Technical information: *** STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8375c110, 0x8B9B8CD4, 0x00000000) ***win32k.sys-Address 8B9B8CD4 base at 8B800000, DateStamp 4549aea2" So that's everyting and I definitely would rather all commmunication to hppen with a moderator/programmer.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I have asked someone that handles these non booters, I feel though the Stop 04 error may be a failing hard drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 branditx22

branditx22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

After what seemed like millions of attempts at startup repair I was finally able to boot into one of the accounts on my pc. It would not allow me to open my admin account. I did a little troubleshooting and searching and was finally able to change some settings and was able to access my admin account. I did disk cleanup and defragged. I restarted into safe mode with command prompt and ran chkdsk /f. After rebooting and doing another disk cleanup it told me to run chkdsk /c. I did that and did another disk cleanup. It's still slow on reboot, most especially if I'm trying to go through safe mode but if I wait long enough it will do it. So now I can get in, internet is running very quickly, but every time I try to run my Kaspersky the computer crashes and when I reboot it says "unknown failure". So thanks for the help, I'll be reposting in a different area as I assume that I may not be infected?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

Nice work! and best wishes in getting the final solution.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

What an excellent summary of all that you have done

As a result, the computer is slow on reboot, you are able to access your admin account, the internet is running very quickly & the computer still crashes when attempting to run Kaspersky

I know you said you will be ďreposting in a different area as I assume that I may not be infected?Ē and I am still very interested in following all that you are doing

However, on the assumption that you ďmay not be infected?Ē

--- That hasnít been proven yet. Disable Kaspersky completely

--- Go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware// , Download & run the quick scan

--- Quarantine whatever it finds so you can refer to whatever infections it finds

--- As I said, Iím new here but from the threads Iíve read, the moderators are great at providing help once they know what infections are involved

--- If you do not have any infections, then contact Kaspersky support for the crashing issue, http://usa.kaspersky.com/support

--- Like so many other companies itís quite the job to contact them by phone

Do you have the disks to return the computer back to itís original condition?

--- It might be worthwhile to do a fresh re-install

--- If you donít, consider http://www.restoredisks.com/

On the drivers, you can go to the manufacturers website, download the drivers for your computer and burn them to disc. You can do this on someone elseís computer if necessary

--- You can go into Device Manager and see if there are any yellow or red items

On the suspicion that there could be a hard drive problem, now that you have the computer running, see if you have a hard drive diagnostic program and see what the results are

--- In fact you might have diagnostic help available on the manufacturers website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users