Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot start computer.. stuck on compaq logo screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bbcoachrob

bbcoachrob

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

I have an older Compaq Presario 3400+ SR1620NX desktop.
Here is the information I have.
a. I came home last night and instead of the computer being on like I had left it, there was a "dos" screen telling me something was not correct. I honestly didnt read it to close, it said just to "hard stop and something about extensions... ( sorry)
I hard stopped the computer.
b. restarted the computer this morning , worked fine. suddenly, that screen came back on. I had to leave, so shut down computer again.
c) returned home today, and computer will not boot up.
he]
re are symptoms:
1. black screen with big compaq logo in middle shows, with ESC , f1, or f10 options showing on bottom of screen as three options
2. options f1 and f10 do not respond
3. if ESC pressed, then it goes to "loading boot menu" with five dots and stays there forever. This is where I am at now.
I have started and restarted, unplugged everything, and even tried to put an Service Pak 3 disc in dvd player, but that does not change anything.
at a loss what to do...
4. final information.. I just remembered.. I can hear this noise when the computer is on, very quiet but like a clock beeping.. i actually thought it was an alarm in another room.. so not sure if that means anything.. it isnt always there, but then suddenly I can hear this beep...

other info.. one summer ago, my computer crashed because the memory was bad, I lost everything, restarted and had new memory replaced.. not sure if that has anything to do with this.
I have trend micro security installed and which has been really good and have no attacks or issues at all on the computer...

thank you for your help.
rob
Mod Edit: Removed email address, protection from spambots, moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 29 August 2012 - 06:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:11 AM

Possible overheating, IMO...moved to Internal Hardware.

Louis

#3 bbcoachrob

bbcoachrob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

I opened up my computer and removed the fan and blew it out and some other filter and my computer works fine now. I do not know how to delete this post or make it inactive, thought it might be a good tool for another rookie like me who does not know what to do with the same problem

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

No need to delete or close :), members like to see self-help efforts that are successful resolving problems.

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users