Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Administrator privileges disabled - Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 in_law_needshelp

in_law_needshelp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Logged in as a "Administrator" User, Windows starts up but immediately reports problem with explorer.exe and then restarts explorer. Clicking on any "system" shortcut from the start menu e.g. control panel, my computer, my documents causes yet another crash of explore.exe. Right mouse click on any shortcut or start menu item also causes explorer.exe to crash. Any attempt to run any sort of system command from start menu, e.g. Regedit, cmd, sfc, chkdsk causes a "C:..../..<filename> cannot be found" error. Even within Command Prompt any attempt to run a system command results in either "Access denied" or "Cannot run <filename> you must be a User with Administrator rights". "Manage Users" also appears to be locked down as clicking on any links to change current user settings, create user, delete user are all disabled. After many hours reading several forums this is the best I can come up with:

1. Explorer errors associated with "mouse right click / context menu" probably due to registry errors - various techniques and tools suggested to fix the registry errors - all the ones I have found so far rely on executing a "right mouse click" and / or running regedit - both of which I can't do!
2. Even though a User is designated as an administrator, Win 7 still requires "elevated administrator privileges" (the hidden administrator) to run some system commands. Various methods exist to allow a user to "Run as Administrator" but again this involves either a right mouse click (context menu) which causes explorer to crash and the command is rejected or combination of CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER which also seems to be disabled.
3. All attempts using "net user" to create or modify a user within the Command Prompt are "access denied"

I am not sure if the above is due to a virus (Java 7 zero day?) or corrupted system files but without any admin rights or any ability to gain access rights I am unable to get very far. To make matters worse there is no recovery disk, or system image disk so the only option I can see at the moment is format the hard drive and buy a new version of Windows!! Not ideal. Anyone had a similar problem and managed to solve or suggestions / ideas on how I might take back control of windows??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Does this happen in safemode?

If you have previous restore point ,try system restore.

This issue is probably due to windows update.

#3 in_law_needshelp

in_law_needshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

Does this happen in safemode?

Yes, all symptoms described above occur when in Safe Mode too.

If you have previous restore point ,try system restore.

Yes, tried that too, "older" restore points appear to have been deleted so only 4 available restore points from last 3 days. Windows tries to do a system restore but after about an hour it reports "System restore could not be completed as restore point has been deleted or is corrupted"

This issue is probably due to windows update.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:26 AM

Restart the PC

Press F8 on bootup

Select REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER

Click on REPAIR

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

Can you get to this screen?

If yes

Select System restore and try to restore now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users