Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to build a laptop rig online. Any websites or suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alpha4345

alpha4345

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

What's up guys! :P

I'm actually considering to buy a new laptop in the next few months and after a lot of time spent to web-shopping (hell yeah), I didn't find EXACTLY what I was looking for.

So now I think about building myself a custom laptop online and I don't really know where to start from... I want some fair prices and as many options as possible.

Do you guys know any websites offering that sort of services? Any other advices that could be useful??

NOTE: I live in Canada.

Thank you very much everyone! :)

Alpha8768 out.

Edited by Budapest, 29 August 2012 - 04:53 PM.
Moved from System Building and Upgrading ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

You really cannot build a laptop, those are purchased pre-built. The best you can reasonably do is to build a Mac Mini-like Mini-ITX computer.

EDIT: My initial response was in error, I thought the OP wanted to build a laptop themselves with OTS hardware. On the laptop front, you are often very limited in what you can get customized. Some builders do allow for some degree of customization though.

Edited by DJBPace07, 29 August 2012 - 04:39 PM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

You will always be limited as to what you can mix and match on a laptop.

Here is Sager: http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=products

You can also check http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx and pay a lot.

It is rare that you can find a laptop with exactly what you want. The secret is buying one that already has the built in feature you deem "essential" while allowing you to upgrade to the additional features you want. In my situation, my lappy had what I needed- USB 3 port and a decent graphics card. A bluetooth module, 8gigs of memory, and a 256gig SSD were thrown in later.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

To be honest..."custom" implies that you want something catering to your specific, individual tastes.

Laptops are not made for that purpose...but you can build a desktop or have a desktop built...in that manner. It's one of the big reasons desktops are preferred by many users.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users