Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to rebuild a HD after a boot/root infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rwilles

rwilles

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Nasdaq referred me to this forum from my attempts to recover from a thumb drive infection. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464272.html

First sign of infection: my netgear wireless modem and wireless network were renamed and all the passwords reset. Hard reset to recover. I am still getting browsers redirected daily. All three browsers each will give message that setting have been changed when opened. IE will say search setting have been corrupted and mandate Bing. Internet Options will be reset to custom levels without a reboot. I have installed AVG 2012 paid. No scan from various scanners will show an infected file except some cookies. AVG rescue disk scan found 13 password protected files that were renamed. Broke AVG and required a reinstall. Password protected files were back by the end of the day. AVG says there should be NO password protected files in their sub-directories during a rescue scan. Their solution is a wipe and reinstall.

What is the safest process of doing the HD wipe and reinstall? Just plugging the thumb drive in got me all this grief. Is reinstalling files from the DVD the same process? If i try to access my old files am i opening myself to reinfection?

Thanks for any wisdom you can impart...

Edited by rwilles, 28 August 2012 - 01:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

<<What is the safest process of doing the HD wipe and reinstall?>>

As suggested by Nasdaq...format/reinstall Windows will do the job.

<<If i try to access my old files am i opening myself to reinfection?>>

What old files are you referring to? If the system is infected and you intend to do a wipe/reinstall...what files would be available for "access"?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users