Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp4, Mkv, or Vob's ???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 newbie320

newbie320

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hello and good day everyone...
Right now I am using my desktop to stream video via Serviio server. Corei7, 12gb ram.

When I stream the vob files which is 4gb it streams fine, but when I convert to mp4 or mkv it does not??

The size of the converted mp4 and mkv are just under 2gb. The stream is a little jumpy.

Why is this??/

I am using FreeMake Video Converter.
Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Vob files are the easiest to decode or encode due to their lower compression.

Also This from the Serviio FAQs.
What to do when playback stutters

the quality of your home network - wired network is always preferable, especially for streaming HD videos. If you are on a wireless network, make sure the signal is strong, the device is located within a reasonable distance of the router, and that the WiFi channel you are using is being used by as few of your neighbours as possible. It is also always a good idea to invest in a quality router, designed for high bitrate operation.

the power of the computer running Serviio - this only relates to transcoded videos, which might require considerable resources from your PC to be able to play smoothly, especially CPU. If your computer has multi-core CPU, you can assign additional CPU cores to the transcoder in the console.

This where I'm suspecting the problem may be, Roger

the way the file has been encoded - some high quality video files might be 'too much' for your device with its limited processing power and memory and you might experience stuttering in fast moving scenes

Is it the player or the Serviio server? Can you play the files direct with no problems?

For what its worth I use Freemake to convert many files for my Media player with no Problem. No streaming however, they are all on the internal drive, the USB externals or the NAs(s).

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 29 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks I have discovered it is a problem with Freemake. Played files on computer and they are jittery also. I have a new HP Phoenix Desktop, Core i7, 12gb ram, 1gb video card, 1tb 7200rpm hd.
I have assigned more cores and did not resolve issue.

Have found other software that seems to work. A shame becuase I really like Freemake.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much they usually compress there video to?

I was thinking if I have a 5gb Vob movie and I convert it to a 2.5gb mp4 movie would the quality still be good enough to watch on a 47" lcd hdtv.

Can you please share your experiences and wisdom with me??

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Size that you will like is a Subjective thing not a Objective thing. It is strange that Freemake caused that problem. As I say i usually use it weekly for quick and easy conversions where no filtering is needed. For moderate filtering I use TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works Trialware ($100)

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works(replaces TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress) is here. Among it features is support for many input and output formats, detailed parameter settings, fast and precise cut-editing, video format conversion, compression, material creation, and much more! Import, edit, enhance, and encode your videos with the easy-to-use interface preferred by users the world over. Add video clips in practically any format, cut-out unwanted scenes, correct and enhance your video and audio, then encode to the format of your choice using custom settings or templates for popular formats. CUDA hardware encoding

I use this one for the filters when needed. Speed, Faster or slower playback. Color, Sharpness etc. Trial version will work, Watermarks the video I remember. Lots of neat features. I tried the free route for fancy, I spent the money. I also use their BluRay (DVD too) authoring solution.

What to use depends on your budget. Lots of free encoders. many do not have filtering.
Video Encoders (H264/MP4/MKV)

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Handbrake (free) is a very good converter that will convert DVD, Video_TS (VOB) to MKV or MPEG 4. I have used both, the Mac & Windows version. I highly recommend it. You can use presets for iPod, Apple TV, etc. as well as set your own custom sizes.
I use it to put DVDs on my iPod. People I know use it for Apple TV. Playback is always smooth.

P.S it won't break the encryption on DVDs. You need something else for that. (Forum rules prohibit me from telling you what that is)

Edited by 12x48y, 31 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users