Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build, cannot suspend USB hubs, PC doesn't turn off after Windows shutdown

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 PCfan123

PCfan123

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hey all, I'm new here, so sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

A couple weeks ago, I built my first computer. It's a very nice computer, with a couple of problems.

Ever since I first turned it on and installed Windows, I can't shut down my PC normally. Windows 7 shuts down, but my PC stays on. The only way to turn it off is by holding down the power button on the front of the case. I thought it was a power supply problem at first, so I returned my PSU and purchased a higher quality one. I installed the new PSU and nothing changed.

I then found a command prompt tool that analyzes your PC's power management for 60 seconds and generates a report. My report came out with several errors and warnings. On the report, it tells me that the USB hubs are unable to enter suspend. I've posted the report below for more information (warning, it's a little long :D).

Another thing I tried is doing a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and that didn't change anything either. I have never had this problem before.

Thanks guys for the help :)! Let me know if you need any more information. Here is the report:

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Scan Time
2012-08-28T13:23:34Z
Scan Duration
60 seconds
System Manufacturer
System manufacturer
System Product Name
System Product Name
BIOS Date
05/10/2012
BIOS Version
OS Build
Platform Role
PlatformRoleDesktop
Plugged In
true
Process Count
Thread Count
Report GUID
{d4106d84-8077-4145-a58e-30351f2c79f5}

Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name
USB Root Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 29, function 0
Device ID
USB\VID_8086&PID_1C26
Port Path
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device Name
Generic USB Hub
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_8087&PID_0024
Port Path
Device Name
USB Composite Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_045E&PID_00DD
Port Path
Device Name
Microsoft Hardware USB Wireless Mouse
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C26
Host Controller Location
Device ID
USB\VID_045E&PID_00E1
Port Path
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)
Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
Warnings

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
psia.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
\SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
\SystemRoot\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\21.0.1180.83\chrome.dll
\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys
Process Name
svchost.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\esent.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll
Process Name
MsMpEng.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Definition Updates\{836C3DD7-CF87-4512-8AB1-006C9C909D17}\mpengine.dll
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Process Name
TrustedInstaller.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17592_none_672ce6c3de2cb17f\CbsCore.dll
\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll
Process Name
svchost.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\sysmain.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll
Process Name
System
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\iaStor.sys
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rdyboost.sys
Process Name
dwm.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll
\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
Average Utilization (%)
Module
Information

Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name
OEM Balanced
Plan GUID
{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality
Balanced
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality Mode
Optimize for Video Quality
System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Battery:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported
true
S2 Sleep Supported
false
S3 Sleep Supported
true
S4 Sleep Supported
true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
Index
Idle © State Count
Performance (P) State Count
Throttle (T) State Count
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
Index
Idle © State Count
Throttle (T) State Count
Group
Index
Idle © State Count
Throttle (T) State Count
Group
Index
Idle © State Count
Throttle (T) State Count

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

What is the motherboard?

3939.png

#3 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

It's an ASUS P8Z68-M Pro. Sorry forgot to mention my computer specs are in my profile :).

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Are you using the most recent BIOS and, since you've mentioned your USB devices, USB drivers? I had problems on a recent Asus motherboard until I installed their specific drivers for the USB.

3939.png

#5 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

Yes, I am using the most recent BIOS version, 3806. Not sure about USB drivers, but the only two things plugged in are the mouse and keyboard. Both Microsoft products with the latest software installed from Windows Update.

#6 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

It could be possible that I have outdated USB drivers. Problem is, I don't know where to find the updated ones. On the ASUS page it only shows stuff for USB 3.0 boost programs.

A friend of mine recommended me a program called DriverPack Solution. I ran it on my older laptop and it found and updated drivers without any issues. I'm not sure I want to run it on my new machine though and would prefer to get USB drivers somewhere else.

I also noticed something in Device Manager. "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is grayed out and unchecked. Could this be the problem? Here are two snapshots:

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

On Asus' site, there is Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Vista 32bit & Vista 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit---(WHQL). It may work, but there are no guarantees. That power option seems more laptop centered, but I cannot see a reason as to why Windows would want to shut off your input devices on a desktop.

3939.png

#8 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

I installed the Asmedia USB driver and nothing changed. I also ran DriverPack and it updated some sound, LAN, and chipset drivers.

I'm starting to think this could be a motherboard problem that could only be fixed through a BIOS update (I've run out of ideas).

If you've got anymore ideas then I'd be happy to give them a try. But unfortunately I haven't found any answers myself from some research, so I may be forced to just wait for Asus to release a BIOS update that fixes the problem.

Edited by PCfan123, 29 August 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

When you are in the BIOS screen, under USB properties, are there any options to leave USB power on/turn it off. I remember having problems with a newer board that had an option to leave USB power on certain ports for charging USB powered devices. Longshot I know.

Reset BIOS to defaults?

Edited by dpunisher, 29 August 2012 - 03:52 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#10 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I will take a look in the USB BIOS settings. I've already tried resetting to defaults though :(.

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

You may have to try an RMA, I'm not really sure what else you could do. Are you inside the 30-day window for returning the motherboard to the store or will you send it back to the manufacturer?

3939.png

#12 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I thought that might be the only option.

This computer is only a couple weeks old, so yes I could still do it through Newegg. I've already RMA'd the power supply though.

I'm thinking about just dealing with the way it is now. Being my first build, I don't really want to mess with taking out the CPU/heatsink and possibly breaking the CPU lol. I would also have to re-apply the thermal compound, which I've never done before. It's always been pre-applied.

From now on I guess I'll continue with shutting down Windows, and then holding the power button. I'll keep checking for BIOS updates in the future in case they find a fix or something.

Thanks guys for the help, and I will let you know if I find something in the future :)!

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

For what is is worth here is something. Evidently it does happen.

In this case it was a older printer causing it.
Windows 7 after shutdown will not power off

Thank all of you for your help. I did find out that shutting down in safe mode did work okay. So I decided to disable services a group at a time with the intent of finding the single service that was causing the problem

This worked. I found that the "print spooler" was the cause. I had installed an old printer (worked fine on Vista) and it appeared to work great with no problems on Windows 7. So I assumed that the failure to power off was for some other reason. But after finding out that the "print spooler" service was causing the power off failure, I deleted the printer and then the driver for the printer. The printer is an HP Laserjet 2100. Now all works.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Problem Resolved.

or here Windows 7 will not fully shut down my pc

Just thought I'd update this in case anyone is still having similar problems, I still ended up having the same issues in 32 bit version of windows 7. The solution was to disable the USB Selective Suspend in the power options, problem solved. Was something to do with usb sockets not powering up properly from suspend when a system shutdown was initiated.

It does seem to be moderately rare, I know I've never seen it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 PCfan123

PCfan123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks rotor123 for the suggestions, but unfortunately none of them worked lol.

I re-ran powercfg -energy and it came with 6 errors now. I noticed one of those errors says PCIe ASPM has been disabled due to a known incompatibility. The exact error messages are:

"Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASPM) is configured to Off."

and

"Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer."

Along with 4 USB suspend errors. I looked around everywhere in the UEFI BIOS and couldn't find anything about ASPM. I also tried resetting to defaults with no success.

Thanks guys for trying to help though lol I really appreciate it.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

You could try this. I do see this on this laptop. No desktop to check on however.

This answer was for a laptop.
(ASPM) Disabled

Afzal Taher replied on
Support Engineer

Hi dsdreamer,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Answers.

Follow these steps to enable PCI Express Active-State Power Management:

1. Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.

2. Open Power Options in the Control Panel

Note: If Power Options is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

3. Select Change plan settings next to the power plan you want to set.

4. Select Change advanced power settings.

5. Select "PCI EXPRESS".

6. Under PCI EXPRESS select "Link State Power Management" and then click OK to save the changes.

Regards,
Afzal-Microsoft Support Engineer.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

To be honest i Have to ask, Is it causing a problem? It seems to be tied to battery life in laptops from my reading.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users