Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Firepaw

Firepaw

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

Hello, I want to build myself a computer, and I was wondering if these parts will work together:
Floppy
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Video card
OS
Power supply
case
Cd-drive
Also, how many fans should I have in this case? Thanks for all the help!
~Firepaw

Edited by Firepaw, 14 March 2006 - 12:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:39 AM

Those are the basic components, but what specifically where you wanting to use...

What motherboard and CPU?
What kind and amount of RAM?
What PSU and what wattage?
What hard drive and what size?
What video card?
What audio card if the motherboad dosen't have onboard?

And probalbly the most important question is what are you going to be using it for?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:13 AM

Firepaw why don't you tell us what you wish to 1) do with the computer 2) how much you would like to spend, amd 3) what do you feel is most important ina computer. That way we can help you select the most appropriate items for your computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:53 AM

If I were you I'd get a slightly better power supply (psu) to run that card. The 6800 series requires a minimum of 18 amps on the +12v1 line (per nvidia tech support, requires 18 amps, recommends 20 amps).....the one you list is only 16 amps. I had a psu that had 16 amps and it wouldn't run my 6800GS card, so I had to invest in a better psu.

But please, post like acklan suggested, and then we'll be able to help you more :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 14 March 2006 - 07:54 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Other than a better power supply does it look like everything will go together? Also, how high of a power supply should i get? 550w? Oh ya, and how many fans should i fill my case with?

Edited by Firepaw, 16 March 2006 - 12:04 AM.

#6 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:19 AM

Um, can someone plz answer quickly. I want to have my computer by tuesday.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:16 AM

Yes, 550W should be enough, as long as it's atleast 18 amps on the +12v line. For fans, 2 fans is enough, becuase your power supply will also have an exhaust fan. If you want, you can get 3 case fans, and have 2 exhaust (side and rear of case) and 1 intake (front of case helps "air flow" inside of case).

Edited by stevealmighty, 18 March 2006 - 01:17 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:34 AM

Hey firepaw...I hadn't run my cursor over your list, so I wasn't aware that the items were links.

Once again, it would help if we knew what you are going to use the computer for, over all what you have looks ok, except the RAM, with the good mobo and CPU you've chosen, I would want to use a better quality RAM, like Crucil, OCZ, Corsair, or Kingston.

As for the power supply, 500W is kind of close, but you can use the link below to calculate your needs, most of these sites will automatically add a small percentage over the bare minimum of what you will need, I would add just a little bit more.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 03:31 AM

OK. I reviewed what you have listed. I have 3 suggestions...

:cool: Why XP Home? If you are going to spend all this money and time, spend another $50 for XP Professional. It is far more secure.

:flowers: Install a second DVD. Install a DVDrom along with the DVD-RW. It will greatly speed up te dulicating of CD\DVDs.

:trumpet: I would go with the eVGA 6800 256MB PCIe instead. That is just my prference.

:cool: The power supply is not the place to skimmp on parts. It is one of the componants that will determine if your system will be stable or not. Just because it has high wattage, does not mean it is the best. Stay with a name brand like ASUS. You are going to have a large demand on your PS. You will need one with the back bone to handle the load.

:thumbsup: You want plenty of fans. Suck in thru the front bottom and exaust thru the top rear. Heat riases and you don't want it blowing into the room. Large slow turning (relatively slow turnning) fans are quitier.

:woot: Look into a very good (Don't go crazy) heatsink and fan for your CPU. This is also going to help keep you computer running stable. HEAT KILLS ELECTRONICS!
Don't forget the thermal compound between the processor and te heatsink. If you fire that puppy up with out it you WILL damage your processor.

:inlove: Scout around unless you are independently wealthy. http://www.pricewatch.com is a good general resource. Be carefull when buy everything at one store. You, in general, pay alot more that way.

I think that will cover it. Oh yeah take your time, and have fun.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:31 AM

You don't need a PSU with more watt, but one with more amps on the 12V1 line. I'd recommend this one: ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT It has 22 amps on both 12V lines, but also a higher efficiency and Active PFC. The thing is getting a high-quality PSU, so that you can trust the power ratings on it. Here is something all prospective PSU buyers should read: The Truth about PSU power ratings

Edited by Mr Alpha, 18 March 2006 - 05:32 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

One suggestion about hard drives:

SATA drives are the newest and fastest technology. Make sure the mb and bios can handle SATA if you decide on it.

Also, Seagate hard drives come with a five year warranty and do not cost any more than the others which come with a one year warranty or less.

After having two Western Digital drives fail after two years, I wouldn't go for anything but a Seagate now. Look around and find them on sale or wait for large rebates if you have to.

#12 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:11 PM

This computer is for gaming.
Heres what I changed:
Video card
Power supply
OS

RAM
Do these work with what Ive got so far?
Oh, and are these gonna keep my case cool?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:19 PM

I would step up on the RAM (get the premium ram and make sure it is a type your mb supports - go to crucial.com and use their wizard and then you can buy from any of the major manufacturers although Crucials premium line is great) and the fans. Get better fans (not necessarily bigger). They don't cost that much more.

#14 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

Better RAM!?!?! Oh, and what makes a fan good?

#15 Firepaw

Firepaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

Do i really need better ram? And what is the thing to look for on fans to see if they are good or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users