Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual Restart

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:01 AM

I would welcome some advice as how I can resolve a problem I have with an aging yet vital tower PC running Windows XP Home.

Three weeks ago I had the Win32FakeSysdef trojan which I removed with a combination of MalawareBytes and Microsoft Security Essentials but for some days, everytime I switch on, the system boots to the login screen and accepts the password and continues to load the desktop. However before this conpletes the computer closes down and restarts back to the login screen. This can happen for up to five or six times until the startup sequence gets past whatever the problem was. Then I get an error message to send or not to Microsoft. This is usually along the lines of :-

Error Signature BC code : 1000007e, BCP1: C0000005, BCP2: FF100097, BCP3: EDEACA88, BCP4: EDEAC784, OSVer: 5_1_2600, SP: 3_0 Product:768_1

sometimes the BC code is 1000008e with a similar string of codes following.

I reset the startup sequence to stop the Auto restart and got the following error message.

STOP : 0x0000008e (0xC0000005 0x820DA097 0xEE8F7944 0x00000000)

XP is upto date and I run Microssoft Security Essentials.

I have reinstalled all the hard disk using Acronis True Image which I also run. I used a backup from well before the trojan infection. But this has not resolved the problem.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:17 AM

Could you start up in the Safe mode with Networking.

Roelof

#3 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Roelof .... F8 gets me into Windows Advanced Options Screen with a selection of options but the keyboard seems to be diabled as the UP/DOWN arrow keys do not work so I can not make a selection.

Cheers
Mike

#4 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I hope you have another computer to work from.
If so, can you follow this page : http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk/main?qid=208286084

After that follow the links update antivirus database and start a scan task.

Can you then tell me if Kasperky did find anything and how your problems are after the steps.

Roelof

#5 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

Thanks Roelof. I have a laptop and will take a look at the the Kaspersky page and get back to you.

Cheers
Mike

#6 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Oke, take the time you need.

#7 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hi Roelof

Not much to report sorry. I created the Kaspersky rescuedisk on a USB and following the instructions on the site modified the BIOS to look at the USB as the first on boot location. The BIOS recognises the USB device as being there but on startup seems to see the USB but passes on to the Hard Disk and trys to boot from that .... with the usual problem of repeated restarts back to log in screen.

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

Mike

#8 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

And if you try to make a Kasperrky rescue cd or dvd ?

#9 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi Roelof

I also thought that a DVD might work ... but it did not ... the BIOS just looked at the drive and went on to read the Hard drive and continues to BOOT from that. I have a Acronis True Image restore disc which the Boot sequence does read if I put this in so I know the BIOS is working as it should ...... it just does not launch the Kerpersky rescue programme.

Is there anything I could do on the occasions the system loads without any problem which it can sometimes do after 5 or 6 tries ?

Cheers

Mike

#10 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:17 AM

Do the Kasperly cd on your laptop ?

And if you can load the system you could try a System Recovery.

Roelof

#11 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:01 AM

Progress ..... of a sort but not resolved.

I created a Kerpersky Rescue on a DVD and tried a restart with that in the drive .... no effect just bypassed it.

Yesterday I managed to get onto get in after 8 or 9 resarts and used the opportunity to run ESET on-line scanner this found some issues which it resolved the report was :-

C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\DQ14BD38\i[1].js
HTML/Iframe.B.Gen virus
deleted - quarantined

C:\Program Files\Orange\setup\OrangeBB.EXE
Win32/Adware.BHO.MegaSearch application
cleaned by deleting - quarantined

C:\SDFix\apps\Process.exe
Win32/PrcView application
cleaned by deleting - quarantined

I thought this would resolve the problem and switched off and resarted, particluarly when on restart the sysyem went through the CHKDSK proccess This seemed to find a few issues which it resolved by deleting and replacing a few files and keys. It was too fast to record what it was doing.

However none of this has resolved the problem of shutting down and restarting before the Desktop has completed loading.

Mike

#12 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

Did you also tried System Recovery to a point your system has worked fine?

#13 Mike_in_UK

Mike_in_UK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

Yes ... but as I reinstalled from backup image there was no roll back prior to initail problem

Mike

#14 roelof1967

roelof1967

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Oke, Do you have a Windows cd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users