Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Format For Streaming Video

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newbie320

newbie320

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hello, I am new to video streaming. I am wanting to transfer my large Sd dvd collection to my hard drive and then stream it to my dlna blu ray players.

My question is should I just use the vob's off the dvd disc itself or take the time to convert them all into mp4 or some other format? Using the vobs will keep the original quality but will also put each dvd around 5gb.

I am thinking I could go lower in file size if I convert, but that would take alot more time converting all those dvd's.

What would you guys recommend?

I purchased a 2 bay Nas, and could only afford one WD 2tb red drive so far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garcarstive

garcarstive

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Streaming studio is best for making some good music industry and making some best music. You have to also develop some best studio for your voice and music. You can also develop some best lyrics for the music effects.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hello, I am new to video streaming. I am wanting to transfer my large Sd dvd collection to my hard drive and then stream it to my dlna blu ray players.

My question is should I just use the vob's off the dvd disc itself or take the time to convert them all into mp4 or some other format? Using the vobs will keep the original quality but will also put each dvd around 5gb.

I am thinking I could go lower in file size if I convert, but that would take alot more time converting all those dvd's.

What would you guys recommend?

I purchased a 2 bay Nas, and could only afford one WD 2tb red drive so far.

Will the BluRay players play VOBs? If so usually if you leave them as VOBs there is a slight delay going from one to the next.

What formats does the BluRay players say They play? Mine for example will Play MKVs over the network. However I found it to be less responsive than my Media Player which is not picky at all. The media player I use has a internal 1Tb drive and two USB ports as well a Gigabit Ethernet so I can have three drives on it direct along with my NAS drives. On top of that it can act as a NAS over the network so other devices can stream from it. Best $200 US I ever spent. It plays my HD Video captures with no changes or re-encoding. The HD captures are one reason I need lots of space as they eat up disk space.

Next point the second drive for your NAS must be te same size or larger. The NAS if mirrored will always be the size of the smallest drive.

If they can play MPGs then you can use software to easily convert the DVD Vobs into ion large MPG file with no encoding needed.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 newbie320

newbie320
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I ordered a 2 bay NAS device. (1gig processor and 512ram). I also ordered (2) 2tb red wd drives. My goal is to get as many movies on the single 2tb drive as possible.

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how much they usually compress there video to?
I was thinking if I have a 5gb Vob movie and I convert it to a 2.5gb mp4 movie if the quality would still be good enough to watch on a 47" lcd hdtv.

Can you please share your experiences and wisdom with me??

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'll be honest. I do not compress the videos. I leave them as they are if they'll play. If I need more storage I can add another NAS. If I overcompress the quality and then get the newer larger TV it'll be too late.

You have to decide between small size with low quality or large size retaining all the quality. Since encoding reduces quality, There is no lossless format conversion.

Can you players play a DVD ISO file? If so that is the way to go.

Not mention that if the Players will be reading straight form the NAS you need to make sure they can handle the video format.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

My LG Blu-Ray player plays VOBs just fine. But as Roger said, there is a slight pause every 15 minutes or so.
This can be easily fixed by joining the VOBs with Vobmerge. (from memory) In the VIDEO_TS folder, find the VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS-01-2.VOB, VTS-01-3.VOB etc and so on. Those are the actual video objects. All but the last VOB should be .99 GB when you hover your mouse over VOB. The VTS-01-0.VOB is the menu, you don't need that to merge.

P.S. I never compress video for storage. I might shrink the video with DVD shrink (legal home movies, and such) to make it fit on a DVD-DL, but that's it. :)
But if i'm putting the video on my iPod, I let Handbrakes preset determine the size and bitrate.

Good luck.
Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users