Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 3360

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Connemara_pony

Connemara_pony

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

I'm about to buy a Vostro 3360 but would appreciate some guidance on which processor to select, either the i3-2367M (most basic offered) or i5-3317U (next one up). Choosing the i5 will increase my price by $160.00 and my funds are limited, hence the careful consideration. Both processors are installed with 4 GB of RAM.

Currently, I use a Latitude E6500 and it performs fairly well with an Intel® Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz 2.54GHz (I don't know understand why two speeds are stated) processor and 4 GB RAM. The computer is 2.5 years old and has been used heavily. In recent months I've had more crashes/freezes which could be software/operating system related. I'm changing jobs so must surrender this machine and I want something lighter/more compact for traveling which is why I've chosen the Vostro 3360.

My heaviest usage patterns are either video + web concurrently or web + SPSS (statistical software) + Matlab + Excel + Word open at the same time. My MATLAB usage isn't very demanding; I've only noticed delays when loading large (47 MB) csv files, not when running my code. SPSS (v20) can take a few seconds to complete analyses. Although I'll have several programs open at once and switch back and forth between them, I do not execute operations in SPSS and MATLAB concurrently. I will not use the new machine for games.

So my specific questions are:

(1) Do you tend towards i3 or i5 based on the information I've provided?
(2) Will battery life (i.e. hours from fully charged to exhausted) be different between these processors when doing the same tasks? I understand from online reviews that battery life is a little disappointing for this model.

Thank you.

Edited by Connemara_pony, 28 August 2012 - 01:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:26 AM

I'd say go for the i5 because of the statistics program and the MATLAB can be demanding and that extra processing power will help it. The i5 processor is a ULV(Ultra Low Voltage)which basically has a slightly lower clocked frequency and a lower TDP, because of that the processor will have a lower power usage hence more battery life.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Connemara_pony

Connemara_pony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'd say go for the i5 because of the statistics program and the MATLAB can be demanding and that extra processing power will help it. The i5 processor is a ULV(Ultra Low Voltage)which basically has a slightly lower clocked frequency and a lower TDP, because of that the processor will have a lower power usage hence more battery life.

Took your advice, thanks. Awaiting delivery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users