Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FBI has Locked your computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

I have an office computer running windows XP SP3, trendmicro antivirus. The end user this morning logged in and the first thing that came up was the Live Security Patinum (virus/malware) box shortly after that the screen went to "FBI has locked your computer....."

I have tried to boot into safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt however I get a BSD (i did not write down the error code)each time.
I removed the hard drive and connected externally to another computer and ran Malwarebytes which found and cleaned 4 problems, ran TrendMicro and it did not find anything.
Put the hard drive back into the original machine and I still get the "FBI has locked your computer..." screen.

this is a company computer, it has Trendmicro on the system, as far as I know all MS Updates are installed.
I can not do a thing on this computer. Before I partition, format and reinstall XP is there anything else I can do?
Any help would be appreciated. <_<

Thanks in advance.
Robin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi Robin,

My name is Casey and I will be helping you with your malware problems.

Whilst we work on your malware problems, it is very important that you do not make any changes to this PC. Specifically, do not run any further malware removal tools or try to remove anything yourself.

You may wish to "Watch Topic" so that you are immediately informed of any replies I make. I also ask that you reply to my posts within 5 days else your topic will be closed as stale.

Throughout the removal process, if you have any questions then you should ask them. If you are unsure of my instructions or something does not go as planned - then please tell me. Conversely, it is also important that you answer any questions I have and that you keep me updated on the state of the PC.

:exclame: Company Computers

Since this is a company computer, you may need to obtain permission to carry out the steps I give to you. We will be making system-wide changes to this computer which may be against your company's IT policy. Such action may result in disciplinary action being taken against you. I must stress that I, in no way, accept liability for this or for any unforeseen eventuality as a result of the instructions I give you (including, but not limited to, data loss).

In addition, if your company has an IT support infrastructure I urge you to contact them to resolve your issue - it's what they're paid to do; whereas I volunteer.

In order to continue to receive my help I would like you to confirm that you have the authority to work on the PC and that you accept my conditions.

:step1: When you try booting into Safe Mode, and you receive the BSOD, what is the exact error message? A photo of the screen would be helpful.

I must also stress that getting this PC up and running may take a little while and will involve a variety of steps. The quickest and safest method would be to reformat - however I am more than happy to try and get this PC up and running again.

Regards,

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 luv2bike2nv

luv2bike2nv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thank you Casey for getting back to me.

Management and I decided to go with format and reinstall the OS instead of days of getting it fix. :)

Regards,
Robin

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

No problem - thanks for letting me know :)

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users