Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio & Machine Sounds Silent

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 medfordman

medfordman

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

My system recently stopped delivering machine sounds or audio from my hard drive or the internet. Speakers and their wiring work fine on my laptop and my Iphone. Best Buys Geek Squad reported "17 viruses/adware" so I ran full Norton Scan, Norton Power Eraser, and Ad-Aware. Found one tracking cookie so I then presented the problem to the Malware Forum. Under the guidance of one of their response team, Nasdaq, I ran some six analysis programs. The sequence can be seen at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464883.html/page__pid__2818769__st__15#entry2818769 Nothing was found and Nasdaq suggested I present to this hardware forum.

I have followed every step suggested in the Windows Problem Solver, downloaded an updated BIOS, and an updated RealTek driver. My system consists of an Intel DG31PR mainboard, version AAD 97573-302. I am running XP SP3. I would appreciate any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:56 AM

Please post the computer model and run speccy here -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Tekken

#3 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Speccy Results
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z5xTR3P0LxuVD2xP68YcM0U

#4 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Sorry, didn't mention machine manufacturer: It's non-denominational, put together with my selected components by a local strip mall reliable vendor about three years ago.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

Did you get the driver from Here?

Edited by jhayz, 01 September 2012 - 10:13 PM.

Tekken

#6 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm not dead sure about the source of the Realtek update; I think it was something that Windows found for me. In any case I just downloaded an update from the Intel download center http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2839&DwnldID=19472&ProductFamily=Desktop+Boards&ProductLine=Intel%c2%ae+3+Series+Chipset+Boards&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Desktop+Board+DG31PR&lang=eng.

The audio is still dead.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

When you say "machine sounds" are you referring to system sounds? (Log on, log off, etc. sounds)

If so, have you checked Sound properties in Control Panel?

Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Sounds tab.

What is listed under Sound Scheme?

#8 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Yes, I'm refering to the sounds made with various system operations. In adition there is no sound from internet sources, e.g. streaming music, Youtube audio, etc.

The Sound Scheme is Windows Default.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Thank you for the information. My shot-in-the-dark was the possiblity that the sound scheme had been reset to no sounds.

If you are using on board sound the possibility exists that it died.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

Can you check device manager and see for any flags/marks on your audio controller? Might as well check your BIOS settings for audio enabling is available.

Tekken

#11 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

No flags on anything in Device Manager, including all sub-folders under Sound and Game Controllers. No disabled settings in the BIOS.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Louis

#13 medfordman

medfordman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

I see lots of Result.txt errors associated with OpenOffice this AM. My version was from Sun. When I tried to download the current version from Apache, lots of error problems. I then used Control Panel to remove the old OpenOffice and I was thenAttached File  Result.txt   19.08KB   2 downloads able to successfully download the newer version, and I have successfully run it since then. I think I remember that I wasn't to have downloaded any new programs. APologies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users