Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A7n8x-x And 400fsb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve E

Steve E

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

I have a Asus A7N8X-X Motherboard, AMD 3200/400 Athlon XP Barton CPU and Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512mb) DDR 400 that was given to me by my brother. He gave up on trying to make it work, everything is basically new.
The system will run fine at CPU Frequency set at 100, 133 and 166. If I set it at 200MHz the system is very unstable and it will crash and reboot. The reboot sets the Frequency back to 100MHz.

Is this board the culprit and is there any way to fix it?

If the board is junk, then I would like to purchase a new Socket A board that can run on 400FSB. I know they are becoming hard to find, any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

It may not be the board. It may be the CPU. If it is finding fault, it may be programed to drop back to the lowest setting to prevent damagng the CPU or board. That Chip may have been graded too high from the plant. Or it could be defective.
On the other hand the board may be damaged. Asus is a well respected maker. Could your brother have dmaged it trying to overclock it?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

No, he did not try and overclock it, he gave up right away.

I think I may have found the problem. Tell me if you think this right. I changed the CPU FSB from 200 to 197 and left the multiplier at 11x. It seems to be running fine. It has not rebooted or missed a beat in 24hrs. Just had my son install and play some video games and everything seems OK.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:47 PM

Sounds reasonable. You reduced the load by 1.5%. Someties the little thing make the big difference. Wat size fan do you have on it? Cooling is a big thing when you run a CPU near it's max.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Steve E

Steve E
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:23 PM

I have a Thermaltake Volcano 10+. Motherboard Monitor has my CPU running at 40 to 44 deg C. I think I may have spoken to soon. It rebooted on its own about 10 minutes ago. I also received a Hardware error from Microsoft Error Reporting.

If the CPU is bad then I will just dump this whole system and update to Athlon 64. Before I do that I would like to purchase a new 400FSB Socket A board. Any recommendations a board that is still available?

How do I test my CPU and see if it is bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users