Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System restore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gabe Aufiero

Gabe Aufiero

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I appear to have gotten a toolbar virus in my web browser called 'babylon', wondering if a system restore will fully remove it or if it will crop up again later? Appreciate any input, thanks

Edited by hamluis, 27 August 2012 - 04:11 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

In my opinion .. System restore has really become something useless in the end .. depending on when the last restore point was created (before or after the infection) it won't really do any good (if the restore point was created after the infection) .. my suggestion is to have a tech look over your system (as there may be more than just a toolbar) that has been installed. they can go through and manually remove all traces of any infection (sometimes a Virus/Spyware scanner isn't able to remove some malware) .. you could also try resetting IE back to Defaults (Tools > Internet Options) and you will find the reset to default .. a lot of that time that will remove it from IE .. however you would want to go to the Control Panel and uninstall babylon .. then run your Virus/Spyware scanner along with something like CCleaner.

#3 Gabe Aufiero

Gabe Aufiero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thanks I appreciate it - for the time being system restore seems to have worked. I was actually using mozilla as a browser, and I don't see any more trace of the toolbar. Best-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users