Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install IE9 on 2k8R2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 johnnybiggles

johnnybiggles

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

After installing a fresh OS (Windows Server 2008 R2 x64) and running Windows Updates for hours, it gets down to what appears to be the very last which is IE9, which fails. The only thing it can tell me is "Error Code 2 - Windows encountered an unknown error." Then it says to "get help with this error", but microsoft doesn't seem to be much help for itself nor does it explain why it can't install its own products on its own OS. I tried to download the "full" install package, which, when run, the first thing it does is go out to download the rest of the installation package. GREAT. I needed an offline package in case the connection was the issue, which it is not, apparently. Even when I run that, all it says is (after it fails), "Internet Explorer did not finish installing.", followed by a link to a troubleshooter that also does not explain anything nor offer any valid assistance or insight as to why it did not finish or an alternate method to install. I even tried to run the infamous MS 'Fixit' app, which found nothing wrong, of course. I installed .NET 4 and 3.5.1, ran further updates and then tried again with still no luck. I've rebooted over & over, with no luck. There's no link in the Control Panel to uninstall IE8. I've checked versions in the registry and in directories and it definitely is still IE8. Anyone ever have this issue? How can I resolve this and how can I at least know why it is not installing? How do I install IE( without having to rebuild the server again? All else seems perfect so far...

Edited by johnnybiggles, 27 August 2012 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

Install this first

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=207220

and then install the offline IE 9 setup.If that doesnt work

Try solutions given here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-error-code-2-trying-to-install/ee945c20-a8c1-4b82-9b4c-d6dfae4c5337

Error code 2 may be due to conflict with Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile

#3 johnnybiggles

johnnybiggles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

That first file I ran and got a message that it was not for the operating system. I also uninstalled/reinstalled/repaired .NET 4 and still no luck. Any other suggestions?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Download IE 9 from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23332

Disconnect internet and install IE 9

After IE 9 installation completes ,restart the PC and connect to internet and download the updates for IE 9

See if it works

good luck

#5 johnnybiggles

johnnybiggles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Unplugged the net cable, tried this and it still says "Internet Explorer did not finish installing". I'm afraid to even try a clean install of the OS because I've read that in certain cases that did not help either.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm afraid we have no more options.

#7 Easy365online

Easy365online

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

This was a start for me to resolve.

I also went in and manually removed all reg hives that had to do with IE AFTER downloading the ie9 deployment package from Micrsoft so i was not stuck without internet access besides the commandline FTP.

good luck.
Josh Borges

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Try solutions given here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-error-code-2-trying-to-install/ee945c20-a8c1-4b82-9b4c-d6dfae4c5337

Didn't you try the suggestions given here?

Dotnet removal tool was one of them.

#9 Easy365online

Easy365online

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Try solutions given here

Didn't you try the suggestions given here?

Dotnet removal tool was one of them.

I was not the original asker. I was registering and saw the post so I replied.
The article you quoted i did not even read.
Lesson learned.
Josh

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

No problem.Thanks for sharing the fix :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users