Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard And Mouse I/o Conflict

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dknoppix

dknoppix

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a big problem.

I did something, on my laptop, and now whenever I press a key on my keyboard, it freezes the mouse. Everything still runs in the backround though. In the device manager, it says that the keyboard conficts with the mouse on I/O 0060-0060 and 0064-0064.

Just wondering if there is any way you can help me. I tried reinstalling the drivers, disabling the keyboard, updating the drivers. Nothing.

Please help :thumbsup:

dk

Edited by jgweed, 14 March 2006 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:31 PM

Here is a Microsoft link related to the problem you described...

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;258797
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

Uh..Its actually a laptop, so I need the keyboard, and I don't wish to contact the BIOS company.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:39 PM

According to the MS article that I/O port is reserved for your keyboard and what your error message show is the mouse is interferring with the keyboard.
Have you installed any software/drivers/hardware just prior to the problem? Did you try an external mouse/keyboard proir to the error message?

#5 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:17 AM

Have you installed any software/drivers/hardware just prior to the problem? Did you try an external mouse/keyboard proir to the error message?

Yes I installed ALOT of software. I was actually updating my EZ Cd burner to version 6, and it asked to uninstall version 5, and to reboot. Afterwards, everything just went bad.

After I rebooted, I got a bsod 0x00000019, so I rebooted and started with last known good config....

Then my cd drive was missing from explorer, so I had to find a fix for that. It was a reg fix, and I think I deleted the right values.

My friend has this external lappy mouse that I use, and it worked fine before, but its not working anymore. Not on mine, and not on hers.

I also installed a D-Link Wireless card, which is working fine.

How do I change the I/O range for the mouse? And to what settings?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

Is you BIOS set for plug and play? The mouse (PS/2) assignment is made in the BIOS usually. I have not had to alter the memory I\O in XP for a while. I'll look into it.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

[quote name='dknoppix' date='Mar 14 2006, 07:17 AM' post='251684']
[quote]

My friend has this external lappy mouse that I use, and it worked fine before, but its not working anymore. Not on mine, and not on hers.

[/quote]

If the mouse no longer works on either computer, maybe you should try a different mouse. Could be something as simple as a hardware failure on the mouse's part.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:04 AM

What about the built in mouse?

Is you BIOS set for plug and play? The mouse (PS/2) assignment is made in the BIOS usually

How to I check?

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

go into bios configuration, this varies from computer to computer, you do this when you start your computer up. usually "delete","f-1", "f-10", it will tell you, look for "setup" on the POST (power on self test) screen when computer turns on. look though the list of options, easiest is "set bios defaults", this sets your bios up to default (factory) values. this may fix it.
if not, check in device manager, i wonder if it is a windows thing or a bios thing, could be either, anyway, device manager...>right click on my computer>properties>hardware>device manager.. now do you see mouse and pointing devices? click on the "+" symnol beside it, it will expand, right click on the mouse, select properties,what do you see under device status? check resources, is it using an IRQ of 12?
post back with reply for furthur help please
Google...Google.....browse..read

#10 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:56 AM

I'll do what you said when I get home. I tried going into BIOS and restoring the default, but it didn't work.

Now I'm getting a BSOD of STOP: 0x0000008e and a .sys file (I'll post back with the details.)

dk

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

The Cd you were talking about in post #1, was it a USB or firewire external? In the following article from MS is suggests a conflict with an external storage device.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813818

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

I'll do what you said when I get home. I tried going into BIOS and restoring the default, but it didn't work.

Now I'm getting a BSOD of STOP: 0x0000008e and a .sys file (I'll post back with the details.)

dk

:thumbsup: Ok, now we have gone above and beyond my understanding of computers. I'll have to bow out and let someone else help you with that issue. I'm rather clueless when it comes to the more technical side of computers, programming and things of that nature. Sorry :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#13 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

It's not your mouse or keyboard the cause of your problems. Some other device is taking up the resources the ports they are connected to, need to work. Try disabling on-board gameport and/or MIDI, and see what happens. You may have to disable several on-board devices before finding a suitable combination.

#14 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:54 PM

Hm...the .sys file is Ndis.sys and the error is:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF85144BB, 0XF13DD25C, 0X00000000)

right click on the mouse, select properties,what do you see under device status? check resources, is it using an IRQ of 12?

Yes. The mouse has an IRQ of 12 and the Keyboard 01.

It's not your mouse or keyboard the cause of your problems. Some other device is taking up the resources the ports they are connected to, need to work. Try disabling on-board gameport and/or MIDI, and see what happens. You may have to disable several on-board devices before finding a suitable combination

Uh..I have nothing to disable. no new devices were installed.

The Cd you were talking about in post #1, was it a USB or firewire external? In the following article from MS is suggests a conflict with an external storage device.

It was an internal for the laptop, but can take it out. I know that was roxio's fault, because I've read a few articles on that.

Did I tell you that my keyboard was giving an "Error 10" in device manager?

#15 dknoppix

dknoppix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

Ok, I uninstalled the dlink drivers, and no more bsod's.... I still have the keyboard problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users