Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

M?config.exe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris156

chris156

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:42 PM

I have a number of programs on my computer and none of them can seem to stop the process m?config.exe from starting. It seems to have copied itself into the registry because it starts up everytime I reboot the computer. It also starts up with certain programs. McAfee recognizes it as a virus when it starts up but is unable to clean, quarantine or delete the virus. The programs I currently have on my computer are McAfee, Spybot, Adaware, Win Tasks, Registry Booster, and True Sword. With Win Tasks I can stop the process temporarily.

Any help would be very much appreciated,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Hello chris156, First Welcome to Bleeping Computer. This is an undesirable program. You will find the solution to cleaning your PC by following the instructions in our tutorial HERE.
Please post back with your results or any further questions.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chris156

chris156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:18 PM

Ok, I downloaded Autoruns, and ran it in safe mode. I didn't see anything that I thought was unusual, but to be honest I'm not really sure what to look for. I saved the list that Autoruns came up with so I can post that here if it would help. I noticed that m?config.exe seems to be located in the system32 file, however, when I stop the process, the file is no longer there.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

You might also try downloading and running the Purity Scan uninstaller. Reboot afterwards.

Mentioned by Symantec under removal instructions
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 chris156

chris156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:49 PM

I downloaded and ran the OiUninstaller and then rebooted and that seems to have worked. The problem does not start up when I reboot or when I use the programs that used to also cause it to start. Is there anything else I should do to make sure the problem is gone?

Thanks for your help,
chris156

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

If your not experiencing any more problems, then that should do it. I suggest you SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent future reinfection from an old restore point AFTER cleaning your system of any malware infection. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Setting a new restore point will help prevent any future reinfection and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 chris156

chris156
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •